A Speed Workout Means I Deserve Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last night’s workout hurt sooooo good. I feel like I have been focusing so much on mileage lately and I’ve really missed the track. I did 3 x 1 mile repeats with 2:00 rest in between (7:09, 7:13, 7:18).

Afterwards I did 4 sets of 25 lunges with a :30 walking rest in between sets. My legs were on FIRE. I can’t remember the last time I did lunges… I need to start adding these back in more regularly because I can feel how well they work, especially AFTER a workout. I finished it up with a .5 mile cool down.

The track is right next to the gym, so Thomas was working out there while I got my track workout in. I caught him spying on me through the window a few times, which made me run faster and lunge harder Smile

When we got home Thomas cooked me dinner (and he’s not even in trouble!): balsamic garlic chicken with mushrooms and pasta. It was so good but I totally forgot to take a picture. I guess he will just have to cook for me again if he wants to be on the blog…

After dinner I had a craving for something sweet (what else is new) and I didn’t want a cookie dough klondike for the second night in a row, so I decided to make chocolate chip cookies. I’ve tried so many different variations of chocolate chip cookie recipes, but I’ve finally got it just right. I don’t know if it’s the melted butter or the extra egg yolk (a trick my grandma taught me when I was little), but these are quite possibly the best I’ve ever made. We will name them after my dog since everything else is named after her around here.

Dixie’s Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 c mini chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  3. Melt butter and allow to cool slightly. Mix butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk.
  4. Add dry ingredients gradually and mix until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon.

5.   Spoon dough by tablespoon onto cookie sheets.

6.    Bake at 325 for 11-14 minutes.

I ate about 4 cookies worth of dough before I could get these in the oven, but I had three more after they were done just to make sure they were good enough to share with all of you wonderful people.

Random update: I’ve still been keeping up with my 30 day Plank Challenge. I’ve been doing these in the mornings with push ups and this is the extent of my morning workout ability. I will have a full recap when the 30 days is up!

What is your all time favorite type of cookie?

Do you do lunges regularly? What is your go to strength training move for you legs?

This entry was posted in Recipe, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to A Speed Workout Means I Deserve Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies is my favourite food! I had no idea about the extra yolk. I did I not know this?!?!? The best recipe I found so far is the one on the back of the milk Chipits chocolate chip bag. The milk chocolate ones though. But now I need to try Dixie’s because I’m so curious about the extra yolk! Nice job on that speed work too eh? You nailed it!!!

2. YUMMM I love chocolate chip cookies!

I actually haven’t done lunges before. For body weight leg strength my go-tos are squats and wall sits, calf raises, and bridges (but those are more for the glutes than the legs).

I think I actually eat more cookie dough than I bake… my struggle is real.

Favorite type of cookie though is snickerdoodle! I feel like they are always forgotten about or underrated. But they are DELICIOUS!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I loooooooove snickerdoodle cookies. Totally underrated. I usually just buy the Betty Crocker mix that comes in a bag and they are SO good!

4. I always end up eating more cookie dough then cookies. J is not big on cookie dough so it works out. I made cookies on Sunday and I ate about half the dough and he’s been eating the cookies. It’s a solid system we’ve got 😉

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Wow, you’re lucky! Thomas and I always fight over who gets the bowl and who gets the spoon. I have to sneak a few extra bites while I’m actually making the cookies to get my fair share 🙂

5. Chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favorite cookie. I may have to bake some today after seeing this post! Reverse lunges, squats (or single leg squats), and bridges are my go-to lower body exercises. A good yoga session with tons of warrior poses or Pilates with lots of leg lifts also makes for a great leg workout!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I always fall and embarrass myself when I attempt backwards lunges. Love bridges, especially because I can do them while I watch TV 🙂

6. Yes, a speedy track workout like that definitely earned you a few chocolate chip cookies! Great job 🙂 Um, also that is adorable that you pushed harder when you knew your fiancé was watching.

I do lunges, squats and push-ups every day lately. My kiddo saw me doing them one day and I told him what they were called, and now he’ll randomly yell “Mama do squats! Mama do lunges! Mama do pushups!” and when I ask him how many I should do, he always says 3. Haha, he’s a tough trainer!

Dude! Those cookies look awesome. I’ve never been much of a baker, but I’d like to try these out. I do a lot of body weight movements with yoga for strengthening (lunges and squats). It’s also great for core work too!

8. That’s really cute that he was spying on you :p and lunges.!! great idea, I haven’t done those in forever, but they sound amazing actually. Great workout.!! that sounds super tough.
    and chocolate chip cookies are actually my favorite. those look soo so good. Great treat for a great workout 🙂

9. Annette says:

Good luck on the plank challenge! I started one but admittedly, never finished. I despise planks. I used to do lunges a lot, especially when I was doing P90, and they are a great workout. I need to incorporate them back in…along with all other strength training…

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I made sure mine had rest days because I knew I would miss a few.. It’s hard to do something every single day for 30 days!

10. I baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday…too funny!
    White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are my favorite!
    I do lots of squats but rarely do lunges.

11. Cookies! Oh my yum! I rarely do lunges, but lately I’ve been all about barre and squats 🙂

12. Awww that’s SO CUTE that he was spying on you 🙂 When I know someone is watching me I get obsessive about my form!

13. Chocolate chip all the way! Yours look delicious, so I think I’ll definitely be trying this recipe soon.

I do a lunge variation as part of my stretching routine.

14. As the Squirrel in Over the Hedge said so well… “but I like-a cookie!!!”
    OMG GIVE THEM TO ME NOW

15. Extra yolk, interesting! Have you ever tried browning the butter first vs just melting it? Even. Better. And now I want to go bake chocolate chip cookies… haha