Running on Antibiotics and Happier Things

Today has just not been a great running week. After starting the week with pink eye and a sinus infection and then having an allergic reaction to antibiotics I decided to take Monday and Tuesday off. I felt like I was finally ready to attempt a run on Wednesday, but it has been raining like crazy here all week, so I had to go the gym to try to get a run in on the treadmill.

I felt fine for the first mile @ 8:00 pace and then all of a sudden it was like my body flipped a switch and I felt completely exhausted. After slowing down to 8:30 pace I barely made it another mile before giving up. I was so frustrated and confused – how could I run 11 miles just three days earlier and then barely get through 2 miles on the treadmill? I switched over to the elliptical to get some more cardio in, did some abs and planks for my plank challenge and called it a night.

Overall, my body has not reacted well to antibiotics. After rejecting the first prescription, my doctor gave me something different that my body seems to accept, but I still feel “off.” I did a little bit of research and found that there are runners that experience similar symptoms while running on antibiotics. What worries me is that I didn’t find any super scientific evidence, just stories and experiences similar to mine. Common symptoms include:

1. Increased sensitivity to dehydration (check)
  2. Slower pace (check)
  3. Dizziness and upset stomach (check)
  4. Tendon rupture (this didn’t happen, thank goodness)

I’m going to try again today. I’m running a 10k on Saturday so I want to be completely off antibiotics for the race, especially since it is a 9:00 start and the high for the day is going to be in the 80s, so I’ll be needing some energy towards the end of the race.

I want this blog to be a mostly positive place, but running and life are not always happy, so thanks for reading about the less than amazing week I’ve had thus far. Now I do want to tell you about some more positive happenings. My pink eye is gone and my sinus infection has improved… so at least my antibiotics are doing something good!

Yesterday I got my Cordskinz in the mail from Salt – thanks again for hosting the giveaway!! I never win anything, so I was so excited about this. Now I just need Cordskinz to invent the same thing for my curling irons… they get so tangled and this morning I picked one up and sent the other one flying, but that’s a whole other issue.

More happy news – my Pittsburgh Penguins are playing tonight in their first game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs! We’ve had a rough end to the regular season, but you just never know what can happen in the playoffs, so I’m excited to see if they can pull off some upsets against the Rangers.

Any hockey fans? What is your favorite team?

What is something positive happening in your life right now?

22 Responses to Running on Antibiotics and Happier Things

1. I’m sorry to hear you’re having a rough week! Don’t worry about logging too many miles. Your body is trying to heal and rest will help! Easy runs and non-impact exercise (weights, yoga, or cross training like a barre workout) should help! My positive thing this week is my ankle is almost back to its normal size! Hooray! Hoping it continues to heal quickly!

2. I always run slower/less far when I’m sick and sometimes just completely rest up in order to get better faster and not get frustrated about my runs. Hope you feel better for your 10K!
    My positive thing: we signed on for our movers, which is one less thing to worry about for our move! And I’m so thankful we’re hiring movers and not driving a UHaul halfway across the country and through mountains.

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Last year when I moved I said that would be the LAST time I wouldn’t hire movers… it was miserable and we only moved 30 miles!! I will definitely be hiring movers next time 🙂

3. ah sorry about not feeling well, I’m glad that it’s improving though.!! Hopefully you’ll be all ready to go this Saturday for that 10k. 🙂
    Something positive.. I’m getting a promotion at work real soon. So I’ve been learning all sorts of new things.! so that’s nice 🙂

4. So sorry to hear things haven’t been going well! Remember, fitness is not a linear progression, it is a series of peaks and valleys, ups and downs. You’ll bounce back from this!

Starting out too fast on the treadmill may also have contributed to your fatigue. Make sure you listen to your body and take it easy. The pace may be a little slower than normal, but your fatigued body is working just as hard. With your increased mileage, illness and new medication, there is a lot of new stuff that your body is trying to sort through right now so don’t push it too hard!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I think that probably had a lot to do with it. I’m going to attempt a slower run today but if I’m not feeling it I’m just going to call it quits and rest up for the race Saturday. I get soooo frustrated when I’m not 100%, but the peaks and valleys is a good way to look at it, hopefully I will have a peak Saturday!

5. Ohhh PS I love the Pens swag! I’m only a “secondary” fan through my bf but it is so nice to meet someone who likes Pittsburgh sports – we know way more people who hate them.

Is that a Malkin jersey? Fun fact: we named one of our cats (Geno) after him!!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Yes it is!! I always tell Thomas if we get another dog I want to name him Crosby or Geno!! SO funny.

6. Lily Lau says:

Things haven’t been going well here either, I completely feel you there with this post!

7. I definitely feel fatigued way faster on the treadmill, simply because it sucks! Haha I am NOT one of those people who can run inside with any frequency. If you weren’t sick, I’d say to keep things interesting by changing up speed and incline every couple minutes, but it’s probably just a “listen to your body” moment. Don’t worry! It happens to all of us!

8. Sorry to hear that you’ve had a rough week – but that means that next week will be that much better to make up for everything. I wish you the speediest of recoveries!

I am a HUGE hockey fan! The Blackhawks are my favorite team, followed by the Penguins (my husband grew up in the Burgh). I always root for the Pens, except when they play the Hawks =D. So I’ll be cheering the Pens on tonight! Yes, they had a rough end to the regular season. They’ve been so injury-stricken it’s unreal! But the playoffs are a WHOLE new season. And I think that it will help the Pens a LOT to be able to bring up some of their prospects from Wilkes-Barre during the post-season.

Sorry to hear you’re having a bad week. Being on antibiotics always makes me feel really weird. I haven’t run on them before, but I imagine it wouldn’t be pleasant. Feel better soon and good luck on your 10k this weekend!

10. Sorry to hear about this, but I think everyone has ups and downs and generally thats ok. Its been a long time since I have taken antibiotics so not sure how they would affect me. I hope you are feeling better quickly!

11. Wow, it sounds like you had a rough start to the week. Pink eye is NOT fun. But then again, having an allergic reaction to antibiotics, therefore prohibiting you from running is not fun either! I didn’t realize that antibiotics could affect running, but I’ve never really paid attention.

I don’t watch much hockey, but one of our good friends is obsessed with hockey and likes to watch the playoffs at our house because of our large TV. I kind of got into it last year, but don’t necessarily root for any one team. Good luck to your Penguins!

My friend Lora and I have been running together for a bazillion years and every time either one of us is on antibiotics, our runs suffer. They’re a huge energy drain and alas, diarrhea takes main stage. You’re totally normal for bailing on Wednesday and I promise once you’re off that stuff your runs will once again be golden.

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I’m so glad you had a similar experience… I was convinced I was crazy until I started reading stories from other runners. I’m off them now so hopefully I will be good as new for my race tomorrow!

13. I’m currently on an antibiotic right now too and it is just wiping me out! I have no motivation to do anything, I’m not sleeping well and just feel off! I love your honesty, its nice to hear a balance in everyone’s lives. Hope your week has improved!