Throwback Thursday

Let’s start today off with a word of advice. If you haven’t done lunges in a while, maybe start out doing 20 or 30. DO NOT try to do 100 after doing mile repeats. I usually don’t mind being a little bit sore. In fact, I like it. It makes me feel like my body is changing and getting stronger. But this is soreness on a whole new level. Like I can’t get out of my car or sit down without assistance level. I look like an 85 year old woman hobbling around. I even thought about getting one of those motorized scooter carts at the grocery store yesterday. Okay, I’m being a little dramatic. But seriously…. wow… lunges are no joke.

I obviously took the day off from running, but was able to catch up on a lot of things I’ve been putting off. I went grocery shopping, cleaned the house, walked the dogs, cooked dinner, chatted with my bff on the phone for a while, and even got started on a new running playlist. Sometimes it’s nice just to catch up on everything.

As I was cleaning the house I went into the guest bedroom (aka Dixie’s room) to put some clothes away. Last time I came in here this quilt was nicely folded on the foot of the bed. My dog thinks she can do whatever she wants.

Now let’s do a little Throwback Thursday. Here is one of my favorite pictures from high school track practice.

230035_1003122003769_2201_n

I have no idea who took it or what I was doing but I do know I was probably avoiding or delaying practice and not listening to my coaches. This was how I used to think of running most days – as a chore. I was talented in high school but didn’t push myself to reach my full potential.

I’m so glad that my perspective on running has changed since then. Even though there are still some days where I just want to lay face down on the track, I am thankful for every day that I get the opportunity to run. Thinking back on those days when I didn’t really love running makes me love it even more. Does that make any sense? It’s like when you let something go and then it comes back to you and you know it’s meant to be.  Now that’s deep.

Do you ever feel like you have a love/hate relationship with running?

This entry was posted in Throwback Thursday. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Throwback Thursday

1. HA! I love that picture of you on the track. If only you were also reading a book, it would be perfect 😉

I don’t have a love/hate relationship with running but I do have one with marathon training. I literally do love it and hate it at the same time. So many days I’ve thought “I just want to do shorter distances after this. Let’s do shorter distances for a while.” But I tried that after my first marathon and, nope, didn’t work out – I missed it too much and it was only a month before I’d signed up for marathon #2!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I get those same feelings! It’s so weird because in high school I was a sprinter and did cross country just to stay in shape during the off season. Now I feel like I’m in a completely different sport with marathon training and some days I really miss doing sprints.

2. Haha! That’s how I was in high school too. I pole vaulted because I didn’t want to run! Oh, how I regret that now….funny how times change!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I always wanted to try pole vaulting! It looked like so much fun but I didn’t have any upper body strength.

I used to run cross country and track in high school. I was pretty talented, but also hated it. I ran the 400 very reluctantly in track, and despite my hatred of it, would do pretty well. I wish now I had tried a little harder. Haha.

That pic is so great! You just look so miserable and now you’re gonna run a marathon. How things change!

I HATED running in high school. I was on the cross country team and used to hide in the woods on one or two occasions so I didn’t have to complete the long run haha! But now, I get excited to go run 10+ miles…. Oh how the times have changed…

But I sometimes think that if I really pushed myself in high school I may have burned out and then I wouldn’t love running as much as I do now!

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Hahaha I think I’m totally guilty of that one too. I 100% agree with you… I feel like taking a step back from competitive running for a few years made me appreciate it sooo much more now.

5. Ha, that picture is awesome! I also felt that way during high school track (which is why I quit…). I just didn’t LOVE it. I didn’t even really like it.

As an adult, I certainly have a love/hate relationship with running. I love how it makes me feel and I usually just love it in general, but when I’m trying to get faster or build endurance I can sometimes hate it. Ultimately though, my prevailing emotion for running is love 🙂

Best picture EVER. You’re hilar. And to be completely honest, I thought about warning you about those lunges yesterday but then I didn’t want to sound like a sourpuss party pooper. I really firmly believe that when you’re training for your first marathon, all you should be focusing on is adding distance to your runs. No speed work, no track work, no hill repeats, no new sex positions (joking!!! mostly… as I *do* have an injury story that I must tell you about one day soon). The body is already getting taxed from the added mileage. Don’t kick it while it’s down.

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

hahaahahaha. I know, I know… I should start listening to you more. You told me this last time I did a track workout. I’m gonna start listening starting…… as soon as you post that injury story on your blog

7. I didn’t run in high school, but I probably would have done the same thing then. Actually, I’d probably do the same thing now if I had to race anything shorter than a 10K 🙂 My friends tried to get me to do XC in college but I definitely have a love/hate relationship with shorter distances (and a love/love relationship with long distance running).

8. hhahahahaha I love the post-all-out-effort pictures. There are some serious gems from Twin Cities last year. Also my mom was being all in my grill. I am in a love relationship with running (at the moment) so I’m riding that wave while it lasts, but I’m in a love/hate relationship with movement in general.
    It’s a tough #firstworldproblems kind of life.

• Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

I just went to your blog and searched around until I could find your Twin Cities recap. CLASSIC post run face…

9. I totally get it! I started running when I was 17 on and off. For awhile when I was 18, I would run every single day. I loved it! I never wanted to miss a day. Then I took a few years off (and by that I mean 4). I just wasn’t feeling it. I got back into running in 2012, and finally starting taking it seriously last year. I know I’ll have good days and bad days, but I love it and I’m now in it for the long haul. 🙂

10. Jason says:

that pic of you on the track is awesome – been there!