A Weekend at the Lake

First of all, let me just say thank you SO MUCH for all of the comments and advice you guys left on my last post. You have no idea how helpful it was and how much it eases my nerves, so I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.

This weekend Thomas and I took Dixie to Lake James, a beautiful lake in the mountains of NC. The weather was perfect. We started Saturday morning with a short run. There were some huge hills and it was close to 80 degrees, so we kept it to 3.5 miles.

Dixie really wanted to be friends with this turtle, but he did not want to be friends with her. I’ve never seen a turtle run so fast.

After our run, Thomas did some kayaking and then we spent the rest of the day floating around the lake on the pontoon boat.

Here is my weekly recap from 5/4 – 5/10:

• Monday: 2.3 mile recovery run @ 8:50/mile
  • Tuesday: 4 miles @ 8:15/mi
  • Wednesday: 3 miles @ 8:34/mi
  • Thursday: 4 miles @ 8:22/mi
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 3.5 miles @ 9:05/mi

Total: 16.8 miles

I was hoping to get a longer run in at the lake over the weekend but I just wasn’t feeling it in that heat. I’m looking forward to getting one or two good runs in early this week and then it’s time to taper and rest for the race Sunday!

How was your weekend??

24 Responses to A Weekend at the Lake

1. What is it about running around a lake that is so hard? We have a lake house in upstate NY and running up there is ROUGH! Great job – looks like a wonderful weekend with great weather!

I think I feel so relaxed when I’m there that running or doing anything strenuous feels 1000x harder than it actually is!

WOW! The lake, the dog, the turtle, the boat, you two lovebirds, it’s all so beautiful! Can’t wait to see how well you do on Sunday! So exciting.

3. Looks like such a fun weekend! A lake plus some mountains sounds like the perfect getaway. Dixie chasing the turtle is so cute!

4. Oh my gosh…this looks like the perfect weekend at the lake!!!
    Make sure to get plenty of rest this week. 🙂

So fun! And I’m so jealous of that lake… looked like the water was perfect. It’s still a little too cold to go in the water up here, but it doesn’t stop me from always trying! Haha. So glad you had a great weekend ! 🙂

I was surprised that the water was pretty warm! The boat told us the water temperature was 74, which is really warm for this time of year.

6. How fun 🙂 going to the lake sounds like so much fun.
    Enjoy that taper girl!

7. Looks like you had so much fun! Yay for the taper – you’re almost there!!!

I spent the weekend doing the usual stuff: Playdates, errands and celebrating Mother’s Day with my in-laws on Sunday. It was fun and went by way too fast, just like all weekends do 🙂 Have a great week!

8. Michelle says:

Looks like a GREAT weekend!!! And good luck on your race!

9. That lake looks amazing! And you definitely deserve a break with all the running you have been doing- its time to rest up for your race!!

Looks like a great weekend! I would’ve loved to see that turtle “run” away 😀
    Especially when it comes down to the end of a training cycle, it’s really good to give yourself a little break when you need it the most. A little extra rest can go a long way!

11. I live not too far from the lake and there are some pretty amazing paths to run on, but they are tough!! Flat and breezy at first, but quickly become hilly! I also can relate to the heat thing…it’s just been getting hot here and adjusting to running in it has been difficult! Good luck at the race!

12. Hey girl just found your blog and so glad I did! I live on the coastal side of NC and my roommate and I have been looking for a fun place in the mountains to visit with our dog. We will definitely be checking out Lake James 🙂

Awesome, another North Carolinian!! Lake James is a great place to visit, but there are tons of awesome places in the mountains, especially in the summer. I’m hoping to make a trip to Asheville sometime soon!

13. “I’ve never seen a turtle run so fast” >>Well then you’ve never seen me run :D! I can go at a pretty decent turtle pace! haha

I love how you guys bring Dixie with you everywhere! I wish I could bring Cecil with me everywhere but he would be too scared, haha.

Haha, she has extreme separation issues… So we don’t really have a choice. But we love having her with us, she makes us so happy! Something tells me Cecil might not like the lake 🙂 although he might like that turtle!

This sounds like such a fun weekend. Dixie looks so happy to be out there, and so do you! Good luck on your half this weekend. I’m sure you’re gonna rock out!

Looks like a great weekend! I saw some turtles too, they sure are cute 🙂