I Ran a Half Marathon!

I’m one of those people that likes to be over prepared, so with my first half marathon two weeks away I decided I wanted to go ahead and run a half marathon yesterday. Before this run my longest distance was 11 miles, but I felt great throughout the whole run and decided to just go for it.

I met my dad and a group of other runners at 8:00 on Sunday morning (this is HUGE for me) at the lake where I usually do my long runs. This lake is 6.98 miles all the way around… it has been measured over and over again because they do races there every once in a while. We did one lap with the group and then decided to do another. When we came to the end of the second lap (13.96 miles), my watch said 13.6. I knew I had already done the 14, but I had to get that even number on my watch, so I added an extra .4 before stopping (runners are weird about that stuff).

You can see on my map where the first and second laps don’t really match up even though it was the exact same path… especially in areas where there are heavier woods. I know this is normal with GPS watches, but it is still frustrating.

Salem Lake

We took it nice and slow because I wanted to make sure I made it the full 14 miles. Here are the splits:

Splits

After my run we had to take Buster back home to Thomas’s parents’ house. We’ve had him all week (we do this every once in a while) because we miss him and Dixie loves having a friend. Dixie is going to miss her bff! He was just ready to get back on his golf cart.

Here is my weekly recap:

4/27 – 5/3

• Monday: 5 Miles @ 8:37/mi
  • Tuesday: 3 x 1 mile repeats (7:09, 7:13, 7:18), 4 sets of 25 lunges (never again), .5 mile cool down
  • Wednesday: Rest (ouch, lunges)
  • Thursday: 30 min elliptical, 1 mile run @ 9:00 (still barely walking from lunges)
  • Friday: 4 mi @ 8:12/mi
  • Saturday: Rest
  • Sunday: 14 mi @ 9:14/mi

Total Miles: 27.5 miles

How was your weekend?

Does your GPS watch ever mess up?

Are you obsessed with getting even mileage on your watch?

This entry was posted in Long Run, Weekly Recap. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to I Ran a Half Marathon!

1. Congrats on the half! I remember the first time that I went beyond the distance–I was so excited! It still feels good to go over that. My GPS watch messed up pretty terribly about a month ago–it jumped from .4 to 1 mile. So It thinks I ran a mile in 4 something. NOT

Congrats on your PDR (personal distance record) ! 🙂 So exciting!!

And I 100% understand… I CANNOT stop a run if I’m not at a particular mile – my watch MUST read XX.00 miles…or else I have to keep going. Haha.

My weekend was good! Still trying to keep my milage lower post-marathon but was able to get a nice long-ish run in this weekend. Our weather was so beautiful I had to run. Followed by a relaxing afternoon reading on my apartments roof 🙂

Our weather was too good!! When we started Sunday morning it was about 50 degrees and then warmed up to 75 later in the day, but it was nice and cool for the run. Reading on the roof sounds awesome… I bet you can get a good tan up there!

NICE WORK!!! That’s so exciting. Isn’t it so exciting?!?! Running 14 miles just gives you huge confidence when you’re running your half. Awesome, and wicked pace, too. I’m so happy for you! I don’t actually own a GPS watch. Crazy, eh? I never have. I use my phone to map out runs and then I have a few that I do all the time. And you know me: I have to finish my weekly mileage in multiples of tens. I didn’t do this last week, and it nearly drove me mad. I don’t want to talk about it.

Thanks so much 🙂 It is exciting and a huge confidence booster. I can’t believe you don’t have a GPS watch… especially with your crazy 100 mile weeks…

We did run the same distance at a really similar time! Congrats again on your awesome week. I really liked that your GPS watch thought you were running through the water. That would be pretty impressive. Mine occasionally messes up, but usually is close enough that I don’t worry too much about it.

haha, I know right? I was swimming that last lap… It seems to only be noticeably off on really long runs when I’m in the woods, which makes sense. I can’t be too mad at Garmin for that.

5. Salt says:

Congratulations, lady!! That is such a huge accomplishment! <3 And yes runners are so weird about that kind of stuff. I do the same thing. 🙂

6. Congrats on running your first (and over) 13.1! That is a huge accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of! I like my watch to stop right as the mile changes – and usually I’m running up and down our block to get it to x.00. All my neighbors are runners so at least they don’t think I’m totally insane.

Thanks Laura! I’ve definitely been there… I’ve gotten a lot of weird looks running up and down my driveway staring at my wrist 🙂

7. Annette says:

That’s so awesome!! Congrats!! I can totally relate to finishing out your miles on your gps (even though I still have yet to purchase an actual GPS watch, I can’t decide!!). I still use my phone and I will run laps up and down my street until I get desired mileage. My neighbors probably think I’m crazy.

I always used my phone until a few weeks ago when I bought my watch. As my runs got longer my phone was using too much data to track my time so I finally made the investment. I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 and I love it!

8. Congrats on “your first half marathon”! It definitely feels awesome to hit that milestone in training and know you can do it! Sounds like you are ready to rock your race!

What a great time 🙂 A very nice speedy run is a great confidence builder. You got this!
    I went to Busch Gardens and had a blast! I love roller coasters.

10. Congratulation!!!! This is so exciting!!!
    I’m not obsessed with even mileage, but I never stop short of my goal distance. If I’m over, that’s ok. 🙂

Thanks Jennifer! That’s a better way of thinking about.. maybe one day I’ll become a little less obsessive 🙂

11. Wow, you will be so ready for you half! I hate when my GPS is off, but I feel like it happens quite a bit. And I always try to end my run on an even number as well:)

12. GREAT JOB!!!! That’s so exciting! And those splits don’t look nice and slow to me – looks like you kicked butt! 🙂

13. Great job on your 14 miler.!! I didn’t know you just started running in February, wow you have come so far and are going to nail your half marathon.!!
    I can totally relate to this post.! before I ran my first half marathon, I ran an 18 miler. haha. don’t ask why.? I just wanted to be way over prepared. lol and the same thing with the watch. haha, has to say exactly 14 miles, or whatever I’m running, can’t stop at a non even number 😛

Well, I started running a long long time ago but started my half marathon training in February. Before that it was all 5ks and 10ks for me. 18 miles!! That’s really prepared, bet your half felt like a breeze!

14. Wow that’s awesome! I’ve never run a race so it’s inspiring to hear about your progress like this! Sounds like you’re gonna crush it 🙂

15. Pingback: The Late Weekly Recap and the Run I Needed - Dixie RunsDixie Runs