Race 13.1 Greensboro Race Recap (FIRST Half Marathon!!)

My first half marathon is complete!!

I had a lot of trouble setting a goal for this race, mostly because I had no idea what to expect. I settled on the 1:50-1:55 range as my goal, and I’m proud to say that I met that goal (barely) on a very hilly, challenging course on a hot day.

This was a Sunday morning race, so of course I was stressing and worrying all weekend. I didn’t stress too much about what I was eating, but I focused on drinking a lot of water and staying hydrated. On Saturday night, Thomas and I went to dinner with my parents at one of our favorite restaurants and of course everyone else got to drink while I stuck with water, but I didn’t want to take any chances. We stayed at my parents’ house Saturday night since it is about 30 minutes closer to the race. Dad and I got up at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning and I felt surprisingly awake and ready to go.

I drank some water with a Nuun tablet when I woke up and brought a quarter of a bagel with peanut butter for the road. I was not hungry at ALL, so I had to force that down just to have something in my stomach. I had a Gu and washed it down with some water when we got close to the race.

We made it to the race about 20 minutes before we started and I didn’t do a warm up or anything. I felt really loose from stretching so I just decided to save all of my energy. The race started right at 7:00 am and as soon as we started I heard all of the advice I received from you wonderful people going off in my head – “DON’T GO OUT TOO FAST!!!!” So I didn’t. I held back and ran my first mile right at goal pace: 8:38. This still might be too fast, but I was happy with it and I felt really comfortable (it ended up being only 7 seconds faster than my overall pace).

The race was on a pretty nice course through a mix of main roads and residential streets, but the hills were kind of awful. They weren’t unbelievably long, but they were one after the other and I tried my best to keep my pace comfortable to avoid getting too tired too fast.

I brought one Gu with me and took it at mile 6 right before a water station so I could chase it down. That helped a lot with my energy for the second half of the race. I had a little bit of hip pain towards the end of the race, but other than that I felt great. I knew I wanted to run the second half of the race slightly faster than the first half, so I held back a little bit until the turnaround, which was on a nice flat stretch of greenway.

Nothing super exciting happened… I kept a pretty steady pace but saved some speed for a kick at the end. I finished in 1:54:49, 9th in my age group (out of 49) and 29th female overall (out of 339).

Thomas and my mom were our photographers and they captured the end of the race for us. I wore my Tiux compression socks, which are AWESOME (and super cute). My legs felt great the whole race and I barely even noticed that I was wearing them. I’ll be giving a pair of these away in the next week or two, so stay tuned!!

My dad ran the whole race with me… he usually runs a half marathon in the 1:35ish range, so this was just an easy long run for him (but he still got 2nd in his age group).

Here are my splits and the elevation chart for the race. My watch and my dad’s watch both said 13.23 at the finish. Watches can be wrong, but this was a pretty big differential for both of us to have. Also, the elevation doesn’t look like much, but the constant ups and downs (with the exception of the stretch on the greenway) were NOT fun.

Half Marathon Splits

image

Here are a few post race pics. I got my medal all tangled up but I promise the front is way cooler than what I’m showing you here…

Overall, I was really happy with how this turned out. I met my goal, set a PR (by default), and had a lot of fun. Oh, and me and my dad both had open faced turkey sandwiches with fries after the race. If you aren’t from the south, you probably don’t have an appreciation for gravy and you might think this looks really disgusting, but it is actually heaven. Gravy for DAYS.

Later that afternoon Thomas and I went to the winery by our house. We have lived at our current house for a year and we have never been to this winery that is about 5 minutes away. It was a beautiful day to sit outside and relax!! Pinkies up!

And that’s a wrap!! Time for some rest before I start thinking about how I’m going to train for the Richmond marathon in November. Part of me can’t imagine doing what I did today twice. The other part of me is really excited to start training to make that happen. First I need to lay in bed for about three days, and then we’ll talk about what’s going to happen next Smile

I know there were a LOT of races this weekend. If you raced, how did you do??

What is your favorite post race meal/treat?

This entry was posted in Long Run, Race Recap and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Race 13.1 Greensboro Race Recap (FIRST Half Marathon!!)

1. Congrats!! It sounds like you did an amazing job, especially for your first half! And visiting a winery sounds like the perfect way to celebrate:) Enjoy some relaxation this week- you earned it!

2. Pingback: Friday, Saturday, Sunday | Kristina's Blog About Running

3. Congrats!!!!! I am so excited for you! You executed your perfect race, and your pics are awesome! That’s so cool that your dad ran the whole thing with you. What a great experience!

4. YYYAAAYYYY Are you so excited? WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE lol

Congratulations! Happy to hear this went so well. I lived in Greensboro for about a year and a half, but this race didn’t exist back then. I’ve been tempted to go back and run it, maybe some day!

6. Incredible race!!!! I am so happy for you and you look gorgeous in all of your pics!
    I always crave salty foods after I race…bring on the chips and salsa!

7. AJ says:

Great job! I think I passed by you at one of the road crossings shortly after the turnaround, but I decided not to yell. Hearing everyone around me groan at the first hill or two on the course made me realize what an advantage it was to have run it before and know just what to expect. Keeping your pace despite those hills is awesome. Oh, and my watch said 13.38 at the finish line…I’m sure mine is off as well, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a tad longer than 13.1 overall.

8. GO GIRL! Congrats on finishing your first half-marathon, best feeling everrrrrr. Running + wine + food is sort of heaven, so I think you did it all right 🙂

9. Congrats! That’s an impressive time, especially for your first race and all those hills! A visit to a winery sounds like the perfect indulgence and relaxation after a race. My favorite post-race treat is bacon and eggs and then beer later – I’m all about the salty 🙂

10. Heather says:

Congratulations on your first half marathon! That is so cool that your dad ran with you the entire way.

11. Yay!!! I’m so happy for you – you ROCKED it!!!! You’re dad is pretty awesome, too 🙂 Fries+ gravy=amazing! I’m not from the South (Indiana), but here open-faced sandwiches with gravy and mashed potatoes are popular – they’re called Manhattans and they are yummy 🙂

Thanks Molly! It usually comes with mashed potatoes but I was really craving the fries and gravy combo 🙂

Congrats!! So awesome! That is an amazing time on a difficult course! And I really agree with your post race celebrations. Mine always revolve around food and booze. No matter what I always indulge in froyo post race, but if it was a marathon, I usually splurge and eat a massive veggie burger and fries : )

That’s so funny you say that because Thomas wanted to go get froyo after my gravy fest and I had to turn him down because I was so full.. I NEVER turn down froyo. I guess gravy is more filling than I thought!

Wow!! Well done girl 🙂 You ran a fantastic race. How sweet Dad was beside you. You look strong and happy in your race pics. I do love the socks 🙂 Congratulations!!
    That’s the best looking plate of gravy fries I’ve ever seen lol

Thanks Karen!! I’ve never seen a bad looking plate of fries and gravy, but I must admit this one tasted even better than usual because I felt like I deserved it!

14. Cheryl says:

CONGRATS!!!! That was special that your dad ran it with you (HE IS SPEEDY!) Your pics look great. My husband made salmon on a cedar plank, asparagus, and sweet potatoes after my half this Sunday–it tasted amazing. Oh yeah, the wine wasn’t bad either!! I set a PR too!

Ahheeeeeeee!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Maddie, first of all, you are RIPPED, woman! Check out those muscles! Congrats on a fantastic half marathon time. Most people make it their lifelong goal to get in under 2 hours and you nailed it with gobs of time to spare in your very first half! You’re going to do great in your full and remember…it’s not just two halfs together. The marathon is its own beast. You’ll love it. Congrats again!

Thank you suzyyyyy 🙂 I listened to all of your advice!! Thanks for being so awesome… One day I hope to catch up to you!

16. yay CONGRATS.!! Your first half marathon>! way to not start out fast and seem like such a natural at it. soo many first timers go out too fast, you’re already a pro 🙂
    so happy for you 🙂
    I PR’d at my half also.!

17. Yay!! Congrats on your first Half!! I was so excited to read this and it got me so excited for my first half this weekend! Luckily, I’ll have all day Monday to lay in bed and rest since it’s memorial day and I have off from work! I haven’t even ran the half yet and I’m already wondering how I will be able to pull that off for a full marathon in September, but I’m going to do it. You are so inspiring!!!

Congrats! You did great!! You must be getting excited for marathon training!

I think the second I was done I was excited about starting marathon training haha. I can’t wait to keep getting faster and stronger!

19. Woot woot! Congrats on your first half!!!!!!! Thought about you on Sunday, I’m glad that it went well!

20. Congrats on your race–great job!! I think its awesome that you ran with your dad. I used to run races with my dad and still look to him for racing advice 🙂

21. I’m a little late to the party today, but congratulations!! See I TOLD YOU you would rock it! You are off to a roaring start and only great things lie ahead of you. One journey complete, now begins the next. It will be hard to imagine completing a marathon until the moment you actually cross the finish line. But now you always have this day to remind you: you can do hard things!

22. Congratulations! That’s an AWESOME time for your first race! Especially for such a hilly, hot race! I always want fries after a race. Always!

23. jan says:

Congrats! The first half marathon is so special. I will never forget mine. My favorite post-race treat is either iced coffee or a latte, depending on the weather! 🙂

mmmm, that sounds so good! Especially after a hot race. They had vanilla iced coffee after a 10K I did last month.. it was so refreshing!

24. Woot! Woot! Congrats on your first half! I’m so proud of you! 🙂

Your post-race meal looks delicious! After a long run or race, I just like food!

Congratulations! That’s an awesome first half marathon!

26. Jason says:

Were they running low on gravy? 🙂 Congrats – that’s totally awesome!!

27. Jason says:

Oops, I wasn’t done yet LOL

My favorite post-race treats: chocolate, coffee, beer and potato chips!! Haha, so healthy 🙂

28. Congrats on your awesome race! You look super profesh in your photos! That gravy and chips also looks pretty awesome, yum! I love to refuel with cereal, it’s my fave food ever and I really feel like the milk just goes directly to my muscle protein needs 🙂

29. Congrats Maddie!! You killed your first half marathon! I love that your dad ran the whole thing with you, it’s a memory that you will never forget!

CONGRATS, MADDIE!! You did amazing and those are some awesome consistent splits! I wish I’d taken my own advice but I get caught up trying to run with other people when I can (it usually distracts me and helps me out). Unfortunately, my friend was just too fast for me in this race so it wasn’t my smartest move. I positive split to the EXTREME! But I made it and that’s the important thing right? I approve of your celebration with wine. I always love to enjoy some wine after a race – or just after a good long run 😉

31. Congratulations!! What a great race! And I love gravy, so that looks awesome! I always crave salt after a race so anything salty is good for me! Can’t wait to hear what you’re planning for next!

32. Congrats on your half!!!! The first time is always an incredible feeling. You totally rocked it especially with those gains! I raced in Denver this past weekend for my first full marathon. As a southerner I can relate, gravy is always a good idea.

33. Salt says:

MADDIE!!! You killed it!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a fantastic first half, my friend!! Those splits are absolutely beautiful and I fully agree with your choice of celebration as well. 🙂

34. Congrats on your first half! So awesome that your Dad ran with you too! Half marathons are so fun and addicting, I have one of my favorite ones next weekend.

35. Polly says:

Congrats!!! Awesome time!!!!! 🙂

Love the socks!! Too Cute!!! Will have to check these out!

36. Do compression socks help with shin pain during your run? I have minor shin pain that I usually ignore and the more miles I complete the duller the pain becomes. By mile 1 I usually can’t feel it anymore, but it is so tight at the beginning. You did great! Seriously that is a great time for your first half. It is so great that you dad ran it with you.

I usually get some pain in my calves and around my achilles on longer runs and I’ve found that they do help my legs feel less tired. They help to increase circulation which could help with your shin pain, but I think if you are probably experiencing a problem with your shoes. If you go to any local running store they can fit you to a shoe that should help with any issues you are having. I also use high arch insoles in my shoes which help as well!

37. I am FINALLY catching up on my blog list and really enjoyed reading about your training leading up to this race and the race itself. First off – CONGRATULATIONS!!! You will never forget your first half marathon – what an accomplishment. That is awesome that you set a goal for yourself and were able to hit that goal. A lot of people tend to be a little optimistic with their first race.

It sounds like you didn’t go out too fast at all. I’d say you paced yourself well from the get go. Your dad is a beast! So cool that he ran the race with you – very special.

You seriously have long legs!! Has anyone ever told you this? Runner’s legs for sure. ☺

38. Pingback: Tiux Compression Socks GIVEAWAY! - Dixie RunsDixie Runs