The Heat is Here

It was 5-5-15 on Tuesday so I really wanted to do 5 miles just because it was the day of 5’s. Well, my plan didn’t really work out. I went to the greenway after work and after about 2 miles I thought to myself hmm, it’s really really hot out here. I checked my phone just to make sure I wasn’t being dramatic and it said 82 degrees. This is not even close to “hot” for North Carolinians, but this was the first run this year where I really felt uncomfortable. I turned around at the 2 mile mark and kept it to 4 miles @ 8:14 pace. I’m going to have to ease into this whole summer running thing, especially since I do most of my running after work.

After my run, Thomas and I decided we wanted to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with some margaritas and Mexican food. Well, two restaurants with two 45 minute waits later, we decided against that idea. I can’t stand to wait at restaurants, especially after a run. So, nothing really went as planned on the day of 5’s, but I’m totally fine with it.

On another note, happy late 40th birthday to the great Meb Keflezighi. The masters category just got a little more competitive! I have a serious Meb obsession as of late, probably because I’m in the middle of Meb for Mortals. I’m also obsessed with the fact that he recently said he’s gained 12 pounds since Boston… I just picture him sitting around eating cake and pizza and it makes me smile (even though Meb would never do such a thing).

Now, on to Wednesday. During my past few runs I’ve been noticing that I’m running in two extremes: 9:15ish pace or 8:15ish pace, which might be a good thing since I want to run around 8:30-8:45 pace for my half. I decided on a treadmill run so I could control my pace and get out of the 85 degree heat. I ended up doing 3 easy miles @ 8:34 pace while watching Bloodline. Another blogger recommended this show on Netflix and I can’t remember who it was… please come forward so I can thank you!!!

One thing I do looooove about this warmer weather = dinners on the deck.

Wednesday also marked the end of my 30-day plank challenge. I want to be completely honest about this. I skipped a few days. There were days where I just completely forgot, so sometimes I did them twice a day to make up for it, but sometimes I didn’t. I did however build up to my goal of a 3 minute plank, and I do feel like they are a lot easier than they were on day 1. I didn’t get a magical 30-day six pack or anything like that… I think you actually have to eat healthy and stop drinking beer to have one of those.

I think the biggest advantage of doing a challenge like this is creating a new habit. Now I feel like planks have become a natural part of my workout routine. I’ll do them in the morning or after a run without really thinking about it or dreading it. I think my next challenge is going to be push-ups, but I’m going to wait until after my half marathon.

I was tagged by Karen to do my running favorites, so I wanted to share a link to this post I did a few weeks ago.

What is the longest you will wait at a restaurant?

Are you running in the heat yet?

28 Responses to The Heat is Here

1. Aubrey says:

I feel you on the restaurant waiting. I hate to wait for food so I’ll always try to call ahead by about 4 or 5 at night when they’re not super busy and they’ll usually have the table ready when we do get there.

We’ve just started getting into some unusually warm spring days here in upstate NY. We’re running in 60-70 degree days which are pretty perfect. The next couple will be in the 80’s though, so it will be a little tougher to run outside.

I just started doing some arm/ab/leg routines after our runs and MAN! they are harder to do than I remember them from highschool.. I guess that’s what I get for doing nothing like them in 6 years.. it’s all about building up the muscles again I guess! :]

• 60-70 degrees sounds so nice! I hate to complain about the cold when it’s cold and heat when it’s hot, but I’m not a big fan of running in 80+ degree weather. If I take any breaks from my ab/arm/leg workouts I can definitely tell when I start getting back into it… I lose muscle way faster than I gain it!

2. Salt says:

I’m mostly a morning runner so I haven’t encountered anything too terrible yet, but my bike ride the other day was pretty darn hot! (We were up around 85 degrees that day!) I kind of love it though…just have to remember to stay hydrated!

My restaurant waits are directly related to whether or not I have Betty with me. If she’s there I won’t wait nearly as long because I don’t want to put her through all that. 🙂

Bloodline is my JAM! When I was on vacation I binged watched the show and finished in 2 days. SO SO good!

Your post today made me laugh because Tuesday I went for a run and thought, “ugh it’s kind of humid out”. I would have KILLED for these temperatures in February and March… even two or three weeks ago. So funny how it goes from ugh its too cold to ugh its too hot/humid.

• I thought it was you that I heard about Bloodline from… Did you post something about it recently!? It’s driving me crazy that I can’t remember. And yes I remember thinking two months ago how I couldn’t wait for warmer temps… There is just no pleasing us runners 🙂

The heat is definitely starting to affect my running times too, but I’m trying to embrace it because I’m just so glad that it’s not winter anymore! And great job with the plank! I’m still working my way up to 3 min but I haven’t done an official challenge or anything. I just try to plank as part of my post-run routine 🙂

I loooove the heat when I’m NOT running, so maybe I’ll just have to suck it up and do some morning runs. And for the plank challenge, I definitely used it as a guide and kinda did my own thing, but I still ended up working up to 3 minutes. I switched about every 45 seconds between side planks and regular forearm planks to avoid face planting on the mat 🙂

5. Congrats on your 3 minute plank! Who cares if you skipped a few days – you got your goal in the end right??

Ugh I know what you mean about the heat. On the one hand, I’m glad it’s here because I want to get acclimated to it before my marathon. But last night I did speed work at the gym and it was a SAUNA in there. It seriously felt like it was 90 degrees up in there. I was beet red and sweating my butt off, and the workout took me forever because I had to break for water during all of my rest intervals.

I recently read a RW article talking about the benefits of “extremes” training – run your fast runs really fast and your slow/long runs really slow. I also need to have a lot of practice running at my goal pace too though, but it makes sense – I actually think I’m improving more now that I do my easy runs easy than when I did them “fake easy” (i.e. a moderate pace)

I sweat more in the gym than I do outside, even when it’s AC in there and 85 degrees outdoors. The lack of wind/circulating air just kills me. And then there are girls walking around with their hair down and I’m just like WHAT?

I kinda like that idea of extreme training.. I think my biggest worry at this point is that I’m going to run at those extremes during a race… Start out to fast and end way too slow. As long as I’m mindful of it I should be okay.

I’ll have to check out Bloodline. I fricking LOVE running in heat. Love it. I love the badassness of it, and I love the catharsis of it all, like the demons are being exorcised by heat out of my body, sweating out all the impurities. <—- wow, a little extreme.

I totally expect that from you. Anything that people think is hard or hurts you love and that makes you way more badass than I can ever hope to be…

7. I can’t stand the heat! I ran in 72 degree weather today and thought that was way to hot. I was born and raised in hot St. Louis, but I’ll take running in 20 degrees over 70 degrees any day. Thankfully by this time next week I’ll be in gloriously cool Seattle. 🙂

8. We aren’t running in the heat yet but it’s finally warming up enough to run in shorts/t-shirt, thank goodness! I try to plank a few times a week but would love to make it more routine for me.

I definitely don’t miss bundling up… shorts and a tank is my favorite running outfit for sure!

9. It’s getting hot here in Pittsburgh (the high tomorrow is 90) but I’ve been running in the mornings so it’s not bad at all! I actually don’t mind waiting at restaurants, especially if it’s my first time visiting. I’ve waited over an hour before and it never bothers me! I can understand why it would be annoying though, I’m just weird :/

I was in Pittsburgh two weekends ago and it was SNOWING! That really is one of the craziest weather cities I’ve ever experienced…

10. Ahh, I can’t wait for dinners on the deck! We’re having some crap weather right now. It’s supposed to SNOW this weekend. Blegh. Looking forward to our warm weather coming!

11. It’s been hot in Atlanta for a while now. I actually had to cut my long run last Saturday short because it got too hot and I ran out of water. I love eating and blogging outside in this weather though!

Oh yeah, I hear hotlanta is no joke 🙂 I’ve never been, but I’m going to Savannah in July for my bachelorette party. Apparently you are NOT supposed to go to Savannah in July…. we will be one sweaty group of girls

12. It was pretty warm here this week, but on the days I ran in the morning it was in the 50s so totally fine. I can feel that humidity creeping back though! I hate waiting at restaurants. Usually I will wait up to 30 minutes- but it helps if they have a bar;)

13. Summertime came to FL around March this year, so I’ve had a few weeks to acclimate; now we’ve got a cool front coming in and the mornings are in the low 70s, which is a nice reprieve. Running in heat is no joke!

14. Ah yes, the start of summer! It’s already been pretty humid down here in Central Florida. My marathon training is definitely going to be a hot one! It does seem to take a few runs to get used to the heat again. Of course, that doesn’t mean you have to like it, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do!

So true, gotta just suck it up! I bet Florida is nice and humid too, which makes the heat even worse!

15. Congrats on completing the challenge! That definitely sounded like a tough one.

I’m not a patient person, so I can maybe wait for 15 minutes but anything over that is just not gonna happen…especially after a run! I get grumpy when I get hungry, and it’s not pretty! 😉

And, living in Florida all outdoor runs (except for maybe 4 days out of the year) are hot runs. I’ve been lucky this week because there’s been a light breeze on my runs.

16. I really need to do something like that plank challenge! I really don’t do enough core work and I’m sure it would help my running! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂