Bridal Shower and Weekend Recap!

Once again I am writing my weekend recap a day late because once again Monday was the devil this week and I was too overwhelmed and needed to gather my thoughts. This weekend was not a great running weekend, but it was so amazing in a million other ways.

On Friday my cousin Ali, my Aunt Kathy and Aunt Debbie all drove down from Pittsburgh. We had some drinks, walked around downtown and then had some dinner later that night.

11659503_10205139749881587_8091812903835596241_n

Late Saturday night, two more of my Pittsburgh friends, Nicole and Clontz, made it to my house around midnight and I woke up to greet them and then went right back to sleep because I was exhausted.

Saturday was my bridal shower – my first wedding event! I was soooo excited. I woke up early and took Dixie for 3 mile run (8:40 pace). Then we shared water because it was hot and her needs come first.

After my run we ate pancakes and got all caught up on each other lives before heading over to Kernersville where the shower was being held. I was so nervous/excited so naturally I had to stop by my favorite wine shop for pre-bridal shower wine slushies with my cousins and sister-in-law.

I had the BEST. DAY. EVER. Seriously, I just kept thinking about how blessed I am to be surrounded my so many amazing women.

I felt so loved on Saturday and I surprisingly only cried ONCE when I saw one of my best friends from high school who is now 4 months pregnant. I hadn’t seen her since before she got pregnant so I just lost it when I saw her precious little belly.

I got a lot of great gifts, but honestly what meant the most to me was just having everyone there together to celebrate. My aunts and cousins put so much thought into this shower and every little detail was just perfect.

They had everyone write a word of advice on a shell and then made this little plate that looks so adorable in my house.

11350503_10204855432411049_3887818476451679138_n

They also played a game where I had to try to guess Thomas’s answers to a lot of questions about me/our relationship and we surprisingly did very well! Except apparently he thinks I like Kim Kardashian way more than I really do.

After the bridal shower, my next door neighbor threw a cocktail party for me and made me some delicious (dangerous) Grey Goose martinis. There was a lot of drinking going on this day, which might explain why I haven’t run since.

11009204_10205139757721783_413133602950543408_n

The party didn’t stop there… we went out to our favorite bar later that night to finish up the celebrations.

11141117_10205139759281822_6772899076995498477_n

Now that I’ve filled you in all the fun things that happened this weekend, lets talk a little bit about how much I ran last week.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 mi @ 8:25/mi
Wednesday: 5 mi @ 8:30/mi
Thursday: 3 mi @ 8:25/mi
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3 mi @ 8:40
Sunday: Rest
Total: 15 miles

Definitely not enough, but I’m really looking forward to my first week of official training that starts on July 13. I’m going to have to force myself to do a lot of running on weekends like this one that is filled with wedding festivities because there will be a lot of them over th next few months.

Anyone have weddings/bridal showers to attend this summer?

Married ladies – what is your favorite memory from your bridal shower?

25 Responses to Bridal Shower and Weekend Recap!

1. My best friend video’d my (now) husband answering a bunch of questions about me and they made me answer them first to see if we gave the same answer. We were pretty close but there we a few things we were off on. It was fun! It sounds like such a fun weekend! The best part is just being surrounded by so much love!

Yeah that’s what my cousins did! It was so funny to watch the video afterwards and see him stress out over some of the questions!

2. Michelle says:

awh this looks just lovely!!!! I didn’t have a bridal shower! Congrats again!

Awe, this is so great. I’m so happy for you that you’re surrounded by such amazing women. The shells idea is so thoughtful and sweet! Brilliant. Okay so memories from my shower? Ha ha… well…. I was a much different person way back then so it was a lot more conservative than I would have cared for, but that’s okay. I don’t remember anything specific (I was 20 years old!) but I do remember feeling loved and supported by some very caring women. My ex mother in law is still one of my most favourite people in the world, and my exes entire family is bomb. Such great people, and I miss them.

Wow, you were just a baby! That’s so great that you keep in touch with your ex in laws and that you still have such a great relationship with them.. I’m sure they love having you in their lives <3 <3

4. Looks like so much fun! Your dress is so cute! I actually had two bridal showers…one in Baltimore with my family and one in Cleveland so that more of Rob’s family and his mom’s friends could go. They were both fun in different ways…in Cleveland we actually did a cooking class which was a fun twist on a typical bridal shower!

Wow a cooking class would be so much fun!! We are doing another one in July with more of Thomas’s side of the family. They live about an hour and a half away so this one will be more convenient for them.

5. Seriously, how cute it your white dress? It looks like you have an amazing group of women in your life. I remember my bridal shower and how special it was to have so many important people in one place. My maid of honor had my husband draw a picture of what he thought the wedding dress was going to look like – that was passed around the room and gave us all a good laugh (he is not an artist and was WAY off on the style of dress). ☺

I love the idea of writing a message on a shell.

Um… you look absolutely gorge in that dress! Love love love it! And what a fun weekend.! You should not feel bad about not running – enjoying time with family and loved ones, celebrating major life events.. that’s what life’s about… not the miles you run : ) Hope you have recovered and have a fabulous day!!!

7. karen says:

What a wonderful shower with such sweet memories 🙂 The shell idea is so cute. Alcohol oh so fun, always zaps my running energy lol I ran Monday morning after a few drinks on Sunday evening and my head was feeling funky lol
    Training time is coming soon enough, 15 miles is great for a busy week.

It takes me soooo long to get hydrated after a weekend of drinking, but I’m not going to NOT have sangria at my shower 🙂

8. Aw, what a great weekend! I’m so in love with that dress!

9. Looks like a fun and BOOZY weekend! Hehe. You look awesome in that dress!!

Don’t feel bad about not running. Hey, you’re not in marathon training yet, who cares? Enjoy your freedom from high mileage while it lasts, lady, because you will be missing it later!! 🙂

I love the seashell plate. Such a cute idea!

10. That dress is so cute on you! Looks like you had such a fun bridal shower and such an amazing group of family and friends. My bridal shower was at a brewery (where else?) in St. Louis and I drank way too much beer.
    Don’t feel bad about not running over the weekend! You’ll get plenty of that in marathon training, so enjoy the extra rest 🙂

Sounds like an awesome weekend, Maddie! I’m so glad you had a ton of fun. The shell idea is a really great one and is a fantastic decoration for the house 🙂

12. Um. DAMN GIRL. You are workin that white dress! I love the messages–such a cool keepsake!
    I didn’t have a bridal shower. In my (very traditional Southern) family, we have bridesmaid’s luncheons–thrown by the aunt to honor the bride and the bridesmaids, but you don’t get any speeches or anything like that, except for sometimes. So I had one of those. My was a bit more informal than some (it was at my aunt’s house), but some are very formal!

13. Those shoes you are wearing are gorgeous!!
    One of my friends and I hosted a bridal shower this weekend for our best friend who is getting married in August. Looks like you had a great time at yours!!
    I had a low mileage week last week too because of all the festivities, and I too came to the conclusion that I am going to have to be better at time management to get long runs in on those types of weekends.

14. awe girl.!! you look amazing. I LOVE your outfit. The dress and heels, you nailed it 😉
    I’m so glad you had such an awesome time, don’t feel bad about not getting all the miles you wanted in.. those will come. Enjoy your bridal activities.!!

It looks like an amazing weekend! That seashell idea is adorable. 🙂

You looked so pretty at your shower!!! Awwwww <3 I'm 32 but I got married at 22 so November will be 10 years for my husband and I. So many good memories from the wedding, shower, bachelorette party! It was great. You are going to have such a blast with all of this!

17. Heather says:

You looked amazing at your shower! It sounds like a wonderful weekend!

My favorite part of my bridal shower was just being surrounded by friends and family. The party was hosted by a bridesmaid who is basically like a sister to me. Her mom (my second mom when I was in college) let me use the champagne flute that she had used at her wedding years and years ago. It was such a nice little touch that really made me feel loved.