Treats from the Suz and I’m really hot

HAPPY FRIDAY! I feel like this week has been sooooo slow. Probably because I’m super excited about seeing all my friends/family at my bridal shower tomorrow! This is my first “wedding event” and I can’t wait to see everyone πŸ™‚

Last night I came home to this wonderful box of goodies on my front steps from Susie. I won these delicious treats in a giveaway she did a few weeks ago. Her blog is awesome (and so is she), but you guys probably already know that. Of course I had to sample a bite of pretty much everything as soon as I opened it. Some of the chocolate bars didn’t survive the heat, but they are in my refrigerator recovering as we speak and that won’t stop me from eating them.

IMG_0188I refused to run on the treadmill for the 3rd night in a row and Dixie was carrying around my running shoes so I decided to give outdoor running a try. I waited until about 7:30 when it was a cool 93 degrees and did a couple laps through the neighborhood. Dixie did the first mile with me (8:15 pace… she really missed running) and then I put her back inside because it was just too hot and I was afraid people might think I’m a bad dog mom. I did another two miles at 8:30 pace and called it a night.

I must say the aftermath was probably worse than the actual run. I was sweating for hours. You might think I’m being dramatic but for some reason it takes my body sooooo long to cool down after running in the heat. At 9 pm I was standing in the freezer with ice packs on my neck so I wouldn’t have to take another shower. Anyone else ready for fall!?

Random little piece of info here…. a few weeks ago I did a review of Tiux compression socks. Well, they are awesome and only $35 and you can get 10% with this link. So, go get em πŸ™‚

One more thing… I read this article yesterday from Runner’s World. If you have 20 minutes, it’s a MUST READ.Β These inmates organize and run races in their yard and their stories are just incredible.

Capture

Hope everyone has a faaaaaaabulous weekend!!!

Have you tried any of the treats I got from Susie? Thoughts? I’m excited to try the Picky Bars!Β

Does it take you a whileΒ to stop sweating after a hot run?Β

32 Responses to Treats from the Suz and I’m really hot

I live for the Vega protein mix – I use it in my smoothie every morning : ) Picky Bars are also quite delish ! It takes me a VERY long time to stop sweating… Usually I have to completely cool down (AC at 65 and 30 minutes of sitting/not moving) before I take a shower. Otherwise I keep sweating. Although I much prefer running in the fall temps, I don’t want summer to leave! Now if I could only run mid day and get a great tan while I’m doing so… then maybe I wouldn’t mind sweating so much haha. Have a fab weekend and enjoy your bridal shower : ) So excited to hear about it!!

• Suzy says:

Jamie, I have Vega protein mix too but it’s the vanilla flavored “Protein and Greens.” It tastes a bit like the back of a garbage truck, but it was expensive so I muscle it down. What kind do you drink? What flavor?

I tried the coconut almond flavor and I was a little shocked.. 1. it was really GREEN and 2. it tasted really green. After I got used to I actually really liked it, but the first sip kind of surprised me!

I’m a sweat monster. I sweat when I’m cold. One thing I learned about post-run sweating is that we aren’t supposed to have a shower until our bodies have cooled down. If we shower too soon, we come out still sweating. I know it’s hard to cool down in such hot temps, but waiting for a bit usually helps.

3. I feel like I sweat non-stop during summer training in Florida! ha!

I loved that article too! Reminder of the power of our sport

4. Salt says:

This heat is such a killer! You did a fantastic job out there in it. Crazy how 93 is COOL. That’s just not right haha.
    And oh that Suz…she’s fantastic! Never have I ever tried any of those things, but she’s such a sweetie for sending that all to you! <3

5. That article inspired my Wednesday post. Such a good one…
    I totally feel you on the hot runs too!!

I just went back and read your post… Love it! I wish there was a way to measure how many lives running has saved.

6. I totally know how you feel about sweating after runs! It feels like it takes hours for me to stop dripping – even with ice packs and air conditioning. I wish fall meant we would get cooler temps where I live; for now I’m just counting down the months til winter…

7. Booooo they didn’t make it? I’m sure they’ll be ok–they just need a little a/c right? I can’t wait to hear what you think!
    Stay safe out there, love. It ain’t worth the heatstroke.

They’re totally fine! They were a little melted but that’s just because the UPS man left them in the sun instead of the shade on my porch. I’m still eating them, obviously πŸ™‚

8. I have wanted to try Picky Bars for a while now. I need to get on that!
    With the humidity so high right now I literally take a shower after my run and I am still sweating after. Ick! I feel like I want to jump back in the shower to cool off again.
    Have an awesome weekend!

9. Yaaaah Picky Bars! You know how I feel about them πŸ˜‰ Cookie Doughpness is one of my faves.

I got my Tiux socks! I haven’t tried them on yet, it’s been HOT in Flag (like 90* which is super abnormal for us), but they sure look pretty! I’m excited to try them out!

I’ve been wanting to try them every since you posted about them!! And I’m so glad you got your socks, you will love them! πŸ™‚

10. A cool 93 degrees? Right now Seattle is under an extreme heat advisory because it may get up to 93. I’ve really be wanting to try Picky Bars, especially the Cookie Doughpness flavor!
    I sweat so much on hot days that I blast the A/C in my car to help me cool down. I also feed Charlie ice after hot runs and usually eat a piece myself. Weird, but it totally helps!

Dixie lovessss ice cubes in her water after a run! I can’t wait to try the cookie doughpness, I’ll let you know how it is!

11. That’s an awesome box of goodies! I tried picky bars once but haven’t had them in awhile. Whenever I run in the morning and its super hot I feel like I cant cool off. I have stopped blow-drying my hair because there’s no way I could handle it at that point!

Oh my gosh the blow dryer is the devil after a shower after a run (make sense?)… it just makes me hot all over again and then I’m running back and forth to the freezer to keep myself from sweating. What a mess #girlproblems

12. Picky Bars are my favorite!!!
    I definitely sweat when I’m running, but I feel like I sweat even more when I stop running.

13. OMG I know that sweating-for-hours feeling…like, when you’re even sweating rough your shower?! Yuck. I guess it means our bodies are in overdrive trying to cool down.

14. Augh.!! girl you stole my blog post for today. lol. I was TOTALLY going to talk about that Runner’s World Article about the prison. You know why.? because that prison is 15min minutes from where I live (the closest/next city over). I’ve heard about the races in there before, I’ve never done them.. but I have thought about it. Maybe someday I will.. now that would make for an interesting story. lol

Have a GREAT bridal shower. πŸ™‚

Awwwww enjoy your bridal shower!! Sooo much fun <3 I'm dying to try Picky bars. You have to tell me what you think of them!! Have a great weekend!

16. I have that sweating pronlem too! It’s worse if I take a shower right after running because I love hot showers so I come out of the shower still sweating. It’s a serious problem! haha

17. Wow thank you for sharing the link to the Runner’s World article. My brother is in prison and he has run organized races in there. Inmates are PEOPLE too, and I think it is very important they have a healthy outlet even though they are paying their debt to society. When they are released, running may be something that helps them cope with finding their way back into society. Because I know runners are a very tight knit community that welcomes all kinds of people.

Totally agree. I forget the exact statistic but it was something like 90% of inmates are returning to society within 10 years, so why not allow them to find something they are passionate about that is a HEALTHY outlet to relieve stress.

Great job making it outside for a run! You are a good dog mommy – no worries πŸ™‚
    It’s not so much the heat that does it for me, but if I run in super humidity, I sweat for hours and can’t get my body under control for awhile. It sucks! Thus, I often stick to the treadmill in the worst of heat/humidity also.

19. I’m so ready for fall! I’m not a summer person so the 90-100+ degree days do nothing for me! Picky Bars are good! I wish I could have more of them (nut allergy)!