Stop trying to do too much

Wow, this has been a busy week. I really don’t even know where it went. I spent Monday recovering from my bachelorette party, which was my FIFTH day in a row not running. I was kind of freaking out just because I haven’t gone that long without running for months, but my body was so exhausted that I knew I needed to just recuperate. I decided to redeem myself on Tuesday with 6 miles on the treadmill after work (8:50 pace). I had only slept three hours the night before and was pretty exhausted, but I knew it would make me feel better if I just did it, so I did.

Then Wednesday happened. I had a walk through scheduled at my wedding venue after work, which was actually a big stress reliever because my wedding planner Hannah is super organized and has everything under control! However, I didn’t get home until almost 6:30. I was greeted by dirty dishes everywhere, laundry piled all over the place, bags that still hadn’t been unpacked since the weekend, a hungry fiance and a dog that was crying and begging for a run.

I was just so overwhelmed. This might seem like everyday stuff for most people, but I get really overwhelmed easily if there is just too much to do. Thomas is so helpful and helped me out with the laundry and dishes, but I still wanted to make him dinner. Yeah, we could have just ordered pizza and called it a night, but I enjoy making dinner and during the week we really do try to be somewhat healthy. By the time I even made it out of the kitchen into my room to get changed to run, it was 8:30. I was frustrated and stressing out and kept telling myself “you didn’t run for 5 days, you HAVE to run.” Dixie was jumping all over me as soon as I put my shoes on so I put her leash on her and walked out the door.

We got maybe 100 yards down the road and my feet just completely seized up. Foot cramps are very normal for me… I usually get them right after I finish running, but I can typically avoid them DURING a run if I remember to take my vitamins and drink a lot of water throughout the day. Well, I must have forgotten to do both of those things during the craziness that was Wednesday because I could barely walk after 30 seconds of running.

I stopped, took a deep breath, let Dixie pee, and then I went home.

Not everyday is your day. I wasn’t even going to write about this because I felt like I was just being a quitter and complainer, but then I realized that I want my blog to be about everything – the bad days AND the good ones. So many people only talk about the great things in their lives and leave out the not so pretty stuff. I’m guilty of this too. Mostly because I want my blog to be a positive place, but stuff like this happens to everyone, so I know a lot of you can relate.

When I got home (3 minutes after I had just left) I was visibly upset and Thomas just hugged me and said “stop trying to do so much.” I was trying to fit everything in and do everything to the best of my abilities and it’s just not possible.

This whole ordeal also got me thinking about morning running. I hate it and I just can’t do it, but I was thinking how nice it would have been to just have that run taken care of already so I could have focused on everything else I had to get done.  Something to consider….

On Thursday I was determined to redeem myself so I had planned on running outside right after work. Well, it was pouring down rain with thunder and lightning so I decided to go to the gym with Thomas instead. I did 5 miles at 8:55 pace and still had plenty of time to make one of our favorite dinners – burrito bowls!

I made salsa chicken in the crockpot that had been cooking all day. Then we just fixed cilantro rice (like Chipotle: jasmine rice, butter, salt, cilantro) and had a black beans/corn/diced tomato mixture, guacamole, refried beans, cheese and sour cream. We layer them up and it is delicious and SO filling.

FullSizeRender

FullSizeRender

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! Thomas and I are headed up to the mountains for a couples shower that his family is throwing for us tomorrow and then we are going to spend Sunday hiking and fishing!

Do you have days when you try to do too much?

What is one fun thing you’re doing this weekend?

32 Responses to Stop trying to do too much

I’m so sorry you were having a tough week! Sometimes we just have to remember that every day is not our day and that is a.ok. “Stop trying to do so much”… I need to adopt that motto. I like to think I function best when I’m constantly busy, but sometimes the never ending stress of fitting everything in is so not worth it. YAY for having fun things to do this weekend – nothing crazy over here, probably a movie and some beach time if possible : ) Have a fabulous weekend and enjoy!! : )

2. yesss. My son’s been sick all week and I was crying to my husband that I can’t get a single thing done holding him all day. I’ve been eating easy quick crap, the house is a mess, and there is so much laundry I can’t even take it. Sometimes we definitely need to accept that craziness is out of our hands and that life gets crazy. It will slow down and we’ll be able to catch up, but until then do what you have to (can do!) for you in the mean time.

So true! Whenever I have days like that I always think “How could I do all this if I had a kid too!?” You moms are seriously amazing 🙂

3. Amy Lauren says:

Sorry about your tough week and tough run. The tough ones make the good ones worth it, though, and hopefully you will have some better runs soon and no more cramps. It’s not being a quitter or complainer, it’s just being real.

Your dinner looks good!

So sorry to hear you are having a tough week!! You know, I mainly blog about training and running but today I actually posted a rant about a bunch of annoying things going on in my own life. I usually hold back from writing things like that because I don’t want people to not read because I’m whining and complaining, but blogging and getting my feelings out was what made me feel better in the first place so why would I avoid posting about the bad stuff too? Here’s to a good weekend and a better week next week for both of us!!! Feel better girlie!

5. Aw I totally relate to this post! I always try to do too much and end up burning myself out! I typically get a horrible flu at the end of every semester because I’ve just been going hard for too long- not good! It sounds like a hard week but in a weird way it’s nice to know it’s not just me 🙂 hope the next week goes better for you! 🙂

6. Melanie says:

I think it’s grsat that you share the good and the bad. It’s life; it’s not perfect all the time. I would have reacted the same way. I’m so scheduled oriented that any little thing like that would have thrown me off too. We just have to learn to cut ourselves some slack. It’s okay. 🙂

7. Hannah says:

I had a week like that last week. I just didn’t feel like myself and wasn’t able to workout as much as I usually do. I’m so routine oriented and it freaks me out when I can’t do what I have my mind set to do. Anyways, let’s talk about that burrito bowl 😍 you’ve got me wanting Chiptole for lunch.

I go to Chipotle wayyyy too much so we decided to start making them at home! And I can’t even imagine trying to keep up with everything and chasing a 1 year old around! Thanks for making my wedding a stress free experience 🙂

I FEEL YA! Thomas is so sweet and wise. First of all, three hours of sleep is no joke. I wouldn’t even be able to string together words into a sentence on that little sleep let alone go for a run. You know, the morning run thing is definitely something to think about. I haaaaaaate it, but man has it freed up a lot of time for the rest of the day! The hardest part is the actual getting out of bed and getting out the door but once I’m out there (after about a mile into it) I feel normal again, as if it’s not 6 fricking a.m. It’s worth a try! Maybe even for just one run a week.

I know. I gotta just suck it up and try it at least one day a week. Once I see how much free time I have after work I feel like I will be hooked. And Dixie would love it. I just have to make myself go to bed earlier!

9. Sorry you’re having such a stressful week! You’re not a whiner and complainer. I appreciate when people post things that aren’t all rosy once and a while – it’s nice to know that my friends are real human beings, you know? 😉

I think your foot cramps were one of those little ways our bodies try to intervene on our behalf when we refuse to slow down.

I totally understand how anxious you are about getting miles in – believe me, I’m right there with ya – but sometimes it’s just not worth it. Your marathon is over three months away, you are going to be just fine. Think of it this way: by scaling back a little bit this week, you will just have even more energy to KILL your workouts next week! 🙂

Hang in there. It too will pass! That salsa chicken looks yummy by the way. Can I hire you to come cook for me??? Please??

It’s SO easy! I promise you can’t mess it up. I let the crock pot do the cooking for me 🙂

Thanks for the sweet words. You always know exactly what to say!! <3

10. Candice says:

Sorry to hear you had such a stressful week. I just started running in March and very quickly realized the only way I could run and stay stress free was to run in the mornings. It took about three weeks of forcing myself out of bed but now I’m up and out the door by 5:30 each morning. And that Salsa Chicken looks amazing. Have a great weekend!!

11. We’ve all been there! Sorry it was a rough week. When life gets busy I tend to care less about how clean the house is… Then, sadly, the next thing to get cut is running. Better to be rested than sick or injured!

12. Taylor says:

I love homemade burrito bowls! I keep a small notebook with me wherever I go because I constantly think of something I need to do and then I forget when I get home. When I have some time I look to see what I can get done and this has helped me tremendously on keeping up with everything. Unfortunately it’s not perfect and there are times when I can’t keep up with everything and feel like I have failed. I always remind myself that the world isn’t going to end if I don’t get to everything and the stress isn’t worth it.
    Have fun this weekend! Sounds like it will be a great time.

13. I hope this weekend is much more relaxing and fun for you!! Don’t worry about the dishes and laundry they’ll still be there when you’re ready to do them 😉 Drink some margaritas and take a deep breath.

As for morning running, it sucks when your alarm goes off but once your done it feels awesome. I know my pup loves our morning runs!

14. These days happen to everyone! Don’t stress. You’re fitness will still be there, and sometimes running just doesn’t happen. Early morning runs are the best way I’ve found to make myself consistent with my running, but lately I’ve been having a HARD time getting up in the morning and find myself running after work more and more. Let yourself find what works best for you and roll with it! Thank goodness you have a Thomas to help you through those days 🙂

This weekend will be a long run plus seeing Trainwreck! Woooo!

15. It’s not complaining or whining at all! I’ve forced myself to stop comparing what is overwhelming to me vs what is overwhelming to someone else because everyone has different tolerance. One person may be able to handle way more stressful days, but then there is another aspect in life where you can handle more than them. Comparing only adds to the stress.
    As for morning running, I had to force myself into it my senior year of college when I was busy from 9 am – 9pm some days, but now it’s so second nature. Plus, the reward of getting to relax after a long day of work is worth getting up a bit earlier! I like to prep breakfast the night before to make it easier if I have to be somewhere early.
    I hope you get some good quality sleep and time with Thomas and Dixie this weekend!

I’m the same way and my husband always has to tell me to stop too! Sometimes he makes me just go sit down so he can take over. Morning running is awesome for the very reason that when you get home you can do whatever you want! It takes some getting used to, and you have to go to bed at a decent time, but now especially during marathon training I am loving starting my day with a run! Also, right before I read this post I was thinking about how much I need to clean up around the house. Hang in there!

17. I agree, give yourself a break! I wrote a similar post this past week where I felt like I gave up but I had to give myself a break because I just been too stressed lately.

18. Sometimes it takes a trusting voice to recognize that we are taking on too much at once. I definitely have those days where I feel overwhelmed and like there is not enough time in the day to get things done. What it comes down to for me is prioritizing and recognizing that there are things that don’t “have” to get done right away.

This weekend my husband and I are hosting the neutral support mechanics for the Cascade Cycling Classic (a huge bike race here in Bend) so we are going to ride in their vehicles and enjoy the races from a front row seat! 🙂

Sorry your week was stressful. Lately I feel like there is never enough time to get everything done. Then I read something the other day that said that saving time was an impossible task. We can’t save it and take it out and use it later so why not use what we have wisely and enjoy it. I don’t know why but that lit a big light bulb over my head and now I am trying to do that. Have a great weekend!

20. I totally got there a few days this week! It is a great thing to have ambition and to go after what you want to do, but you have to take care of yourself and your relationships. It’s a tough lesson to learn and to keep in practice.

21. I appreciate your honestly and think sharing the not so good days/issues just makes you more relatable. I also struggle with trying to get everything in and end up feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Its something I am working on so don’t feel like you’re alone 🙂
    If I didn’t run in the morning I definitely would struggled getting it in after work. Some mornings are harder than others but running has become my favorite way to start the day!

22. I’m sorry you were having a bad day! We all definitely have those days where things just become too much. I have it happen to me too, I’m super guilty of not asking for help or when Lane asks what he can do, I tell him “nothing” even when that isn’t true. Thanks for your honesty…it is always so refreshing to see people who are willing to share the good and the bad!

23. I am notorious for trying to do it all! I am all too familiar with how it’ll just wipe us out when we become too overwhelmed. Hang in there and try to take some time for just you. Yeah, I know it’s easier said than done. Music and yoga help me to balance. 🙂

24. Kristina says:

We all have weeks like that. I have definitely had a few of them recently and have learned that we all deserve a little break. I hate when I don’t blog five days a week but sometimes that’s the thing that has to go. Other days it’s the run that unfortunately has to go, and plenty of times I’ve given up on making dinner and have ordered in. I really think if we can just let one thing go on those days that we feel crazy it can make the entire load feel lighter. We just have to give ourselves permission to let go 🙂 I hope that this upcoming week is a lot easier for you!

25. I feel that way a lot of days at work. I’m an elementary teacher, and a lot of times I feel like I have way too many things going on at once, like I’m trying to juggle way more balls than I can possibly manage! My fun this weekend was when our friends came for the weekend and we found out that they are expecting!

26. Pingback: Weekend Recap! - Dixie RunsDixie Runs

27. Melanie says:

Running in the early morning is hard – at least dragging yourself out of bed is. Up until this week, I had a running partner that I would meet 3 days a week at 4am. We had to go this early since I work early (and have a long drive) and her husband leaves at 5am. If I didn’t have her, it would be near impossible. She just moved away so, I might have to join the gym or something and try to get my own self down there, But after work for me, running doesn’t happen – like you said between dinner, laundry, grocery shopping or errands there is no chance:- 🙂