Sucking it Up – Track Tuesday

I’ve made the decision that the heat is here to stay, so instead of complaining about it every day, I’m just going to suck it up and cope with it. I saw an instagram post yesterday afternoon with this caption:

“91 degree heat, 59% humidity, 8 miles… non stop. I run under impossible conditions to achieve impossible goals”

I thought that was a pretty good perspective. I prepared myself for a sweaty run with my favorite pre-run beverage: Nuun tablets.

I mix one in my water before my run and I swear it makes a huge difference. I used to drink gatorade before runs but it would always make my stomach hurt. Nuun tabs have less calories/sugar and just taste “lighter” so I feel like I’m still drinking water instead of a sugary sports drink. I looooove the tropical flavor.

I waited until about 7:00 and then headed out to the track for TRACK TUESDAY of course. My workout goal was 8 x 400s with 400m recovery laps in between. I wanted to do the 400s around 1:50 (7:20/mile pace) and my recovery laps around 2:15 (9:00 pace).

I did a half mile warm up and ended up doing 6 x 400s  instead of 8 and took a quick water break after #4.

Here are my splits (with recovery laps):

So the end result was 4 total miles. The 400s + recovery laps were around 8:00/mi overall pace. I finished right at 24:00 for 3 miles. I didn’t pace my warm up and cool down, but I think they were around 8:45 pace. When I got home a tried a new yoga video to stretch out my legs. I really liked this one. I’m not a fan of her unitard, but the video is pretty good.

Not only was it track Tuesday, but it was also TACO TUESDAY. We didn’t have tacos, but we did have salsa chicken enchiladas, which totally still counts. There’s nothing better than eating off of a paper plate at 9:00 pm in your recliner. We are getting pretty used to these 9 pm dinners…

Have a great Wednesday!!

Ever tried Nuun tablets? Favorite flavor?

Do you drink any kind of sports drink before your (non race) runs?

This entry was posted in Speed Workout, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Sucking it Up – Track Tuesday

Look at those splits!!! You nailed them, and in the heat too. YEAH. I dare you to do it in a unitard next time! I just bought my first thing of Nuun and I’m looking forward to trying it. I think I got some sort of pink lemonade flavour? Not sure. And yes, much better than Gatorade! Gatorade is just glorified flat salty pop.

2. Awesome splits!! Those enchiladas look amazing and I love using paper plates every once and a while makes clean up soo much nicer 🙂 I haven’t tried nuun, but it sounds tasty. I usually drink coconut water following my runs to rehydrate. Have a great day!

I love not having to do dishes 🙂 Coconut water is so great for hydration, but unfortunately I can’t get over the taste…

3. I like that Instagram caption. It reminds me of something I once saw from Shalane: “train hard, race easy.” Always loved that mantra!

I often sip Gatorade before my hard runs. But lately I’ve been getting heartburn whenever I do, which is weird, because I don’t get it when I drink Gatorade during long runs or races. I will probably just stick to drinking it during and after runs. Would love to try nuun one day

Yeah gatorade just doesn’t sit well with me anymore… when I do drink it I make sure it’s really watery and that kind of defeats the purpose. Nuun is great!

4. We both ran 400’s! They kicked my butt.
    I love fruit punch and watermelon nuun.
    I also love Cocogo in my handheld during my runs!

mmm watermelon sounds really good! I haven’t tried cocogo but I always see it on your blog. I’m not a big fan of the taste of coconut water itself but I like that they have different flavors – I’ll have to give it a try!

5. Way to get it done! I’ve been *trying* to run here in Houston and it is ROUGH. The heat + humidity is killer. So, major props to committing to training all through the summer! I love nuun. I’m a big fan of the nuun all day tabs. I’ve been drinking a lot of them this week!

I feel like such a bad runner – I’ve never tried Nuun ! I don’t drink any sports drink while I’m running or after… usually gives me stomach cramps 🙁 Awesome workout – way to get after it girl 🙂

7. I have never tried the nuun tablets, I’m hooked on cytomax! I’d like to try them though! Is there a flavor to stay away from?

I order the mixed flavor packs from amazon. I’ve gotten two different packs (8 different flavors) and haven’t tried one that I don’t like! The four pack in the picture above are all great flavors. I like that they are really light tasting so the flavor is not overpowering… and you can always water them down!

8. I love Nuun! Any other sports drink ruins my stomach and my workout, but Nuun does the trick. Watermelon and tri-berry are my current favorite flavors. Great job on your 400s, especially in that heat!

Awesome job with those 400’s. I was going to do 400’s yesterday too…but the humidity (95%) definitely deterred me. I’ll do them another day! I used to drink Nuun but then got a little tired of it. Now it’s usually just water that I hydrate with!

Better to just wait it on than try to run in those conditions! The amount of sweat that came out of my body was pretty disgusting, haha. I’m usually pretty good with just water, but I get really bad toe/foot cramps so electrolytes definitely help with that.

10. Great Track workout.! man you are just cruising along through all of your workouts, making it look so easy.!!
    I’ve actually never tried Nuun.! but I’ve heard great things about it from everyone.. I’m more of a water person though. lol

Thanks, girl! Nuun tabs are great for longer runs where you need a little extra hydration. I swear by them!

11. I have become the master of 9 p.m. dinners! I am trying to get better at it though. 🙂 Awesome work on your run!!

Great splits!! I really liked Nuun for a while then it suddenly tasted salty to me. I just couldn’t get past it so I switched to Skratch. Which I love but I am trying to bring Nuun back into play too since it meets my dietary restrictions.

I’ll have to check that out! The taste doesn’t bother me but I think that’s because I got the mixed flavor packs and I switch it up so often.

13. 9 pm dinners are normal for us, unfortunately! Great workout!! Heat is crazy and I’ve come to the conclusion that I just have to suck it up or I won’t get anything done. I am ready for fall though!

Nice job on that track workout! I haven’t been having as much luck in the humidity as you have. However, I don’t skip my runs – like your quote, I figure by training in hard conditions, it will just make me stronger. But I suffered hard yesterday…ugh!!! I love summer, but can we lose the humidity for just a minute? Have a great day!

Totally agree. I just keep thinking about how it’s only making me stronger to train in these conditions!

15. Jason says:

Great workout!! I have a tiny suggestion you may want to try – I’d try doing the 400s a little bit quicker – maybe 1:40-1:45 – and then the recovery a little slower – at least 2:30, but even 2:45 would be fine. Just a thought! Feel free to tell me to f*ck off 🙂

Thanks for the tip!! I had that thought when I was doing them but the heat was kind of preventing me from doing them any faster. I have issues with forcing myself to run slower on recovery too…

What a great track workout! You really kick some serious butt! Running in humid conditions is always tough. I really like the lemonade nuun tablets. I do a lot of 9pm dinners too… 🙂

17. They had sample coolers of Nuun at my race last weekend! I definitely enjoyed the taste. Can’t say I noticed anything performance wise since I drank it after the fact but I’d be willing to get some to try out!