Weekend Happenings and Richmond Marathon Training Week 1

Technically my 18 week training program for the Richmond marathon should start today, but I’m leaving for my bachelorette weekend in Savannah on Thursday and I’m not going to be doing much running while I’m there. That being said, I kind of made last week my first official week of training. I’ll get to the recap at the end of this post, but first let me tell you all about my oh so exciting weekend. I ate mac and cheese four times and went to bed at 9:30 on Saturday. BUT – THIS HAPPENED. Yes, that’s me, at 7:15 am, going to run.

On Friday I had my final dress fitting and I did not want to take this dress off… I hate that I only get to wear it for one night. I want to live in it. I made my mom take it home with her so I didn’t accidentally put it on and walk around the house in it.

Later that night Thomas and I had a date night where I had a few Blue Moons, a bacon cheeseburger, and a side of mac and cheese (serving #1) because the dress fit and I was hungry. When we got home I watched a Frank Sinatra documentary and went to bed early. I’m a grandma and I’m totally fine with it. I don’t know if I’ve told you guys about my Frank Sinatra obsession yet, but I LOVE HIM.

On Saturday I woke up a little later than expected and spent about an hour drinking coffee and snuggling with this little baby.

7-12 1

She was crying and staring at me and that can only mean one thing – she wants to run. It was already in the 80s at 9 a.m. so we stayed close to home. I let Dixie do the first 1.5 miles and then put her back inside and finished up with about 2 more miles. I ended up with 3.34 miles – this drove me crazy but I was too hot to make it 4.

That afternoon Thomas and I ran a bunch of errands which was exhausting, so we decided to eat froyo and pick up some tequila to make my favorite strawberry banana margaritas, mmmmm.

Then there was more snuggling with the baby.

7-12 2

I decided to make mac and cheese and fried chicken for dinner because I don’t ever crave healthy foods and it just sounded so good (mac and cheese serving #2). I always use this recipe and it’s the best – Ree Drummond knows what she’s doing. I was exhausted from all of the wedding planning/shopping and was in bed by 9:30.

On Sunday morning I was up at 6:15 and ready to run (THIS NEVER HAPPENS). I’m not a morning person, but I don’t have a choice for my long runs with the current weather here in NC. I met my dad and his running club at the lake and we did 1 loop, which is 7 miles. My dad agreed to do 2 more with me so I ended up with 9 total (8:42 pace). On our last mile, my dad yelled and scared me half to death when he thought he saw a snake. It has yet to be determined whether it was a stick or a snake, but neither one of us were going back to get a closer look. If it was a stick it was a REALLY snake-like shiny, black, long, squiggly stick.

Why do I always crave soda right after I run??? I could not resist this diet sierra mist that my parents had in their fridge (too many drinking selfies this weekend).

When I got home I had leftover mac and cheese (serving #3) and then had some more for dinner (serving #4) with a veggie burger. Ridiculous. It’s a good thing I run…

Richmond Marathon Training – Week 1

Last week I read about Training Peaks on Kristina’s blog and decided to start using it to log my workouts for this training cycle. There is an app so I can log them right on my phone instead of typing them in my notes or scrolling through blog posts to try to figure out what I did all week.

Week 1 (7/6 – 7/12)
Monday – 6 miles after work @ 8:17 pace
Tuesday – 4 miles: .5 mile warm up, 6 x 400 @ 7:20-7:30 pace w 400 m jogging recovery in between, .5 mile cool down
Wednesday – Rest
Thursday – 4 miles on the treadmill @ 8:50 pace
Friday – Rest
Saturday – 3.34 miles @ 8:41 pace
Sunday – 9 miles @ 8:42 pace
Total miles: 26.34 miles

image

I was happy with my runs this week and the overall mileage for week 1 of a training program. This makes me feel a lot better about not running much this week and just enjoying my bachelorette party in Savannah.

Have you ever been to Savannah? Any must see attractions/restaurants/bars?

Do you love mac and cheese enough to eat it 4 times in one weekend?

42 Responses to Weekend Happenings and Richmond Marathon Training Week 1

1. I would love to go to Savannah. Can you believe that I’ve never been? I lived in GA for 18 years, never been, always wanted to. We had a lake house, so we always went there. but still, that is like never going to Miami, or at least not going just once, if you live in Florida. Sad face.
    I need a marg to cope with my pain.

I can’t believe you are from Georgia and have never been!! This is my first time going, but I’m a North Carolinian, so it’s not that weird. I’ll take lots of pictures for you!

2. I had my bachelorette party down in Savannah earlier this year! We did a martini tour one night and got to learn about some of the history of Savannah and got samples that were WAY bigger than normal samples of 5 different martinis along the way! Definitely a fun way to kick off your night!

Good for you for getting your training in early, that way you don’t have to feel guilty about the drinks or delicious food you’ll eat down there! Just enjoy it, it goes by so fast!

A martini tour sounds amazing!! That is such a neat idea. I’m really excited about the food – I hear they have some great restaurants down there and I love a good southern meal 🙂

3. Great job getting all those runs in! I enjoy mac n cheese occasionally, but not sure I could eat it 4 times in one weekend:)
    I have never been to Savannah but would love to go there some day!

4. Mac n’ cheese 4 times in one weekend sounds like a dream! Sounds like fun! I haven’t been to Savannah, but I was literally just talking to some family the other day who took a trip there. They said it’s a really cool town, I’d love to go eventually!

Everyone who I know who has been says it’s a blast… I’ll let you know all about it when we get back!

Personally I could survive on Kraft Mac & Cheese alone. That being said… I don’t think I’ve eaten it since I was in grad school studying for my block exams which at that point I made two boxes and ate it directly out of the pan. In one sitting. The entire thing. Life low or life high? I’ve never been to Savannah but have heard amazing things! Can’t wait to hear all about it 🙂

I don’t understand why they think there are 4 servings in that little box of mac and cheese? That is one, MAYBE one and half servings. I do love kraft, but homemade is soooooo much better.

6. i have some friends stationed at Benning and they rave about Savannah. Someday I’ll have to visit and get there.
    kraft mac & cheese is the shiz. i haven’t had it in years. may have to change that 🙂

7. I am like you, I have no issue with turning in early on the weekends. I love my sleep and like to get up early to get the day started. Looks like a great week of training! I have been loving Annie’s single serve cups of mac n cheese- a quick and easy lunch and if I had more I could probably eat 2! So good. My step son loves it too so we eat it together :-). Have a great Monday!

8. Jason says:

I love the 7:15 selfie – you’re looking just the right amount of sassy!

I’ve never been to Savannah, which is pretty sad considering I lived in ATL for three years. Have a great bachelorette weekend – what happens in Savannah, stays in Savannah!

Omg, this is probably the best post you’ve ever written. I laughed a gazillion times. Frank Sinatra, eh? You’re so cute. I am super excited for your fun weekend coming up, and then the wedding, with your perfect dress, and it’s all so good. I’m so happy for you. Great job on the first unofficial week of marathon training! Yippee!

Speaking of weddings, I’m waiting patiently for someone to post something about them possibly getting “officially” married even though she basically already is…. 🙂 So excited for you and everything you have going on too you speed monster

10. Allison peters says:

Hey if u like Mac and cheese – according to my girl. She says I make some great homemade Mac and cheese. Little does she know I buy the blue bag from Kraft and doctor it up! Try it if u haven’t. You will fall in love all over! Love your posts and good luck with your training!

11. Fran says:

Just ask Ave. He’ll tell you some good places to go. I love Mac and cheese too but I dont run. Ha!
    Got your invitation yesterday!
    Have fun in Savannah!

12. Chels says:

Mmm mac n cheese…sounds awesome and nice 9 miler! Happy training!

13. Sounds like you are going to have a fabulous weekend!

14. Mac and cheese YES. I would definitely have four servings in a weekend. I would want them each to be a little different though! I had my first fried Mac and cheese bites at a wedding recently and they were thebomb.com.
    Awesome first week of training! If it goes for you as it has been for me, it will fly by! Can’t wait to read more about how it goes for you.

Mac and cheese bites are the BEST. I saw them in the frozen section at the grocery store and practiced some serious self control by not buying them…

15. I haven’t had mac and cheese in so long but now I want some! I practically lived off Annie’s Mac and Cheese in grad school. I love How Sweet Eats’ recipe for beer mac and cheese, it’s so incredibly good.
    Awesome first week of training! It’s so impressive that you keep such a good pace in that summer heat. I’m glad Dixie got a run in also!

16. Ah, I love the idea of that app! I’m going to look into it! I’m not a huge mac’n’cheese fan (the manfriend is though and easily would eat it 4x in a weekend), but every so often it sounds sooo good! Great job on your first week of training! And hooray for bachelorette parties!

Great running! I haven’t had Mac N Cheese in years, now I think I am craving it. There is actually an Mac n Cheese fest in the fall here. I’ve never gone but it sounds like fun.

18. It’s so exciting that you had your final dress fitting! I’m planning my wedding right now too, but I’m not going to start dress shopping for another month or two (want to drop a couple of pounds first!)

I could probably eat mac and cheese for just about every meal. Great job on your training and at getting up so early. It’s been insanely hot here too, so I’ve become a morning runner, even though I don’t like it. I guess it’s better than running in over 100 degrees.

20. Ohh I’m glad you decided to use Training Peaks! I’ve used a few different online training logs and this one is by far my favorite. The Running World one is similar in a lot of ways, but the Training Peaks interface is much nicer (and I love the post-run notes section).

A weekend that consists of mac-and-cheese + running just really can’t be wrong!

21. I love mac n cheese and now I’m looking up fried chicken recipes. Again, Ree Drummond FTW.

I always crave pop after a hot and sweaty run! I usually will have a Coke and it always hits the spot!

22. Ilka says:

This is the first time I’m reading about snakes on a runner’s blog. Too funny! We moved to Florida about a year ago and the snakes terrified me so much I sometimes had to stop running. Even the long blackish Razor snakes which are apparently harmless but still left me screamin’ ( like your Dad!) and yes they can sometimes look like sticks. Now they don’t bother me anymore. Funny how you can get used to things.
    I think you have everyone craving Mac N Cheese on your blog 🙂

23. I love that you’re a grandma too! That makes me feel so much better!

9:30 sounds like heaven! I am so jealous!

And, where is this Frank Sinatra doc?! I need to get on this!

24. I’m so glad someone else shares my love for mac & cheese! I can easily eat an entire box if I let myself! Please share the recipe for your strawberry banana margaritas. They sound delicious!

I use the Master of Mixes Lite Strawberry Daiquiri/Margarita mix from the grocery store and add 1-2 ripe bananas. The bananas make them sooooo good 🙂

25. Heather says:

That is my go-to mac and cheese recipe too. I could eat it every day! I mean, I probably wouldn’t fit in my pants anymore, but it would be delicious!

The problem is I HAVE been eating it everyday, lol. It is soooo good! It’s just me and my fiance and I still insist on making the full recipe which means we have tons of leftovers 🙂

26. I could eat mac and cheese every single day. Kind of like pizza. I have to remind myself what unhealthy stuff I want to eat to make myself run sometimes:) And, GREAT JOB waking up so early to run!!!! I’m not an early morning runner either. I’ve tried again and again. I just can’t do it. I’ve just been battling the heat lately.

27. I love that the pup cries to go out and run! I’m not a huge dog person but I would love to have a doggy running partner 🙂

28. Megan says:

I have lived in Savannah my whole life. Some things I would definitely do are go shopping on River Street, you HAVE to have brunch at B.Matthew’s (call for a reservation bc they fill up quick!) Some other funs things are the slow ride pub crawl, the Boos and Brews Ghost tour and Savannah Smiles Dueling Piano Bar!! Hope you have a blast!

29. Ilka says:

Not stressing yourself out about your first Marathon is the right thing to do. Plus you’re getting married in the middle of it all! Oh my Goodness! That’s a lot on your plate! But I have a feeling you can handle it ALL! You’ll be great!