You’ll never believe what I’ve been doing & lessons from Dixie

I’ve been trying out this crazy new thing this week… morning runs. After getting a little bit overwhelmed last week and not finding enough time to get all of my miles in, I knew I had to sacrifice a little bit of sleep to make time for everything this week.

I’ll admit, it has been a challenge opening my eyes at 6 am. Once I manage to get them open it’s even more challenging to get out the door and run a few miles.

On Monday we did 4 miles and Tuesday was a 3 mile tempo run. Dixie is LOVING these morning runs. There are no neighborhood distractions, it’s nice and cool (70s), and she’s worn out by the time we leave for work.

I’m really glad I made myself run in the mornings, because my afternoons have been pretty busy. On Monday we had our final meeting with our pastor before our wedding and didn’t get home until after 8:00, so running would have been pretty much out of the question. I got to spend a little bit of extra time snuggling with my parents’ new puppy too.

On Tuesday I went to Aldi after work and spent about 45 minutes shopping before I got to the checkout and realized Thomas had my debit card. Aldi doesn’t take credit cards and they won’t let you give them the debit card number, so I ended up wasting all of that time and then had to go to a DIFFERENT grocery store. It’s not like I needed one or two things, like I got a FULL cart. I was not happy, but I would have been super stressed if I still had to fit a run in after all of that.

I’ve had a lot more time to cook (and eat before 9 pm) too, which Thomas and I both get to enjoy. I love to cook, but I do prefer quick and easy meals during the week when time is limited. Tuesday was chicken marsala with mashed potatoes and asparagus:

I couldn’t handle three morning runs in a run, so on Wednesday I did 5 recovery miles on the treadmill after work, which means we had a pretty late dinner: baked teriyaki chicken, jasmine rice and fried zucchini.

Hopefully morning running will become more of a regular activity for me, but I’m easing into it right now. I love how happy Dixie is when I grab her leash that early in the morning, so she gives me a little extra motivation. A dog can teach you a lot about running, actually. She is always excited and ready to go. She doesn’t stress about hydration or stretching (although she does do a few downward dogs whenever I put my shoes on). She doesn’t need to make a new playlist or watch a new TV show during her run to make it more fun, she just loves it for what it is. Next time you are contemplating whether to run or not, just ask yourself, what would Dixie do?

Don’t forget you have until Sunday to enter the Jaybird Bluebuds X giveaway!

What time do you go to bed and wake up?

How early do you usually have to get up for morning runs?

Has your pet taught you any life lessons lately?

This entry was posted in Dixie, Recipe and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to You’ll never believe what I’ve been doing & lessons from Dixie

1. I’m so happy for you that you’re hopping on the morning run train! Your Aldi grocery story, that’s exactly why I love morning runs. Inevitably, something will always come up in the afternoon that will either a) stress you out or b) take up all your time and then you don’t feel like running after all of that! Easing into it is definitely the way to go, you’re on the right track! I try to be in bed by 9:30 and asleep by 10 on nights before morning runs, and then out of bed around 4:15am. It’s early, but I have to work early too so that’s the time I have to make! Your dinners look delicious, teriyaki chicken is one of my favorites!

2. Isn’t it a great feeling to get your run out of the way first thing in the morning!? I usually go to bed around 9 and wake up around 5. Seems to work pretty well for me!

3. Yay for morning runs! I made the switch earlier this year and it’s been amazing. I have to wake up super early to do them (be out of the door by 5) but I’m so used to it that it’s no big deal at all anymore. I love the feeling of going into work knowing that my run is over with. I hope you continue on and enjoy it!

4. Candice says:

I love morning runs! I try to be in bed by 10 each night then I’m up and out the door by at least 5:30 a.m.

5. Erin says:

I have been loving morning runs this summer. I’m usually in bed by 9-10 and up at 5-5:30. I have been working to condition my dog back into shape. Lately, we have just been working on our mile time a couple times a week.

6. Taylor says:

I work from 7-3:30 mon-fri so I get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 9. That means that I get my workouts in the minute I get home from work at 4. This seems to work out pretty well for me. Dogs give the best life lessons!

7. ….you don’t have to wake up until 6 for your morning runs?? OMG no fair. I have to be up at 5 for mine!! Haha don’t mind me, I’m just green with envy over here but seriously that’s awesome that you’re getting into the morning runs! They really are great, huh? Life has been kind of crazy here and I haven’t been doing much AM running lately, which makes me sad, but I’m hoping to get back on the wagon after our vacation next week when things will finally feel a little more settled!

I have to leave the house by 7:20 to be at work by 8 (I take the bus), so I usually wake up a little before 6:30. If I’m having a SUPER lazy morning I’ll get up at like 6:45. For AM runs I get up at like 5 so I can be out the door by 5:15…it actually is a little more time than I need but I like that because then I don’t feel rushed afterward. If I want to do more than 7 miles I’ll have to get up even earlier though :-/

Yummy chicken marsala!!

I’m starting to notice that 6 am really isn’t that bad compared to most morning runners…. I luckily don’t have to leave my house until 8:30 so I have plenty of time to get them done, I’ve just been way too lazy until now!

8. I’m going to have to become a morning run to get some of these miles in during the week. This week has been especially warm and busy and I’ve found myself making excuses. I’m glad you are able to get out there in the morning! Gives me motivation to do it too!

9. I have to run in the morning, because if I don’t I won’t run at all. I normally get up between 6-6:30 depending on what time my roommate and I have to be at work. I’m not gonna lie it’s hard to wake up no matter how often I do it. Just this morning my alarm went off at 6:15 and I texted my roommate in the next room over and said “Nope not happening” she was more than happy to sleep in too!

Haha, totally something I would do!! It’s going to be REALLY hard when it gets cold, but right now the weather is actually motivation to get out of bed so I don’t have to run in this crazy NC heat we are having!

I’m glad morning runs are working out for you! I love super early runs. I just sometimes don’t have the willpower to make it happen. I usually have to be up at 5:30 to get an early run in… especially since I can’t run without a good dose of coffee.

Aw, this post seriously makes me want to get a dog to run with! (I can’t yet because we have a big huge English mastiff in the house right now who’s aging and gets too excited around other animals.) I have problems running in the morning unless I have motivation to meet someone else. Thus the excited dog would probably help me out alot too!! Great job getting those runs in 🙂 Dixie’s the best!!

Love the morning runs! I usually go to bed around 10/1030 and wake up at 545 which is like sleeping in for me after this winter! The AM is the only time I can run without feeling like ABSOLUTE death. The humidity does start to take its toll on me, but to a lesser extent in the morning. So glad a few morning runs have made your stress a little less 🙂 Hope you have a fabulous day girl!

13. Amy Lauren says:

I get up at around 6 and am usually running by 6:30 or 6:45. I wish I could be up and running in only 15 minutes but I have to drink my coffee and getting things moving :). I too love early morning runs because you get it out of the way, it makes my whole day go better when I can cross something off my to do list before 8 AM. And, afternoons sometimes have things come up like wanting to go out to dinner or happy hour so if you run in the morning, you can go and not feel guilty for missing a run :).

We don’t have Aldi here! I miss it a lot, used to shop there when I lived in a city that had one. Stinks about having to leave the groceries because of the card though :(.

14. Great job on getting your morning runs in! I wake up at 5-5:30 but don’t run until 7-7:30, in part because I get Ryan ready for work, work on blog stuff, and then drive to my trail. I love morning runs because they set such a good tone for the day and the morning air is so crisp.

I know it’s so hard but doesn’t it feel SO GREAT to get it all done?!? I get up at 5:30 or 6 to run. It’s brutal, but worth it.

16. Morning runs are the absolute best, but I’ve been having such a tough time getting up and out. I ran 5 this morning before 6 am and it felt SO good. I really need to get back in the habit of running before work. I much prefer coming home and relaxing after a long day, then having to go run! I’m usually in bed by like 9:30 in order to get up and run at 5. It’s old lady-ish, but I’m an early to be, early to rise person anyway! And it only gets worse when my mileage really increases!

Morning runs are where it’s AT, sister! Nice job incorporating them. When it’s the school year and I’m working, I dream of the summer days where I can get out the door before it gets too hot and finish running before breakfast. As summer wears on, I take that for granted and sleep a little but I still get out by 9am at the latest. I love it. I feel better, my body likes it better, I like it better. GREAT job! SOOOO annoying about the debit card – I have done that before, ugh!!

18. I am up at 6am everyday and if I can run in the morning I have to be up at 5am or before. Which is why it doesn’t happen as often as I’d like! I do still try to get up early one or two days a week to run with my running partners and to beat the heat. Weekends are always killer for me. If I don’t run in the mornings, it won’t happen! The nice part of the weekend morning run is that I don’t have to be up at 5am!

19. Kristina says:

Ahhh you’re so tough getting up early for morning runs! I honestly keep setting my alarm for morning runs but I hit snooze way too many times and then I have no time left to run.

Do you eat breakfast before your morning runs?

I don’t… But I’ve also kept them short so I haven’t felt like I needed to. If I did I would eat something very light or have a gu… My stomach does not like when I eat right before runs!

20. Oh my goodness, your parents’ puppy. I can’t. Before I had my son morning workouts were my jam. Now I sleep until he sleeps and workout during his naps or after he goes to bed. I do miss working out before the sun comes up, though!

21. Morning runs are the bomb, but the sun needs to be up, and I can rarely do it before 6:30. That said, we start at 630 for long runs for marathon training. Woof.

22. Great job getting out there in the morning for some runs! That’s a hard habit to form in you aren’t used to it. And your dinners look delicious! I am a morning runner and work 10-8PM so I usually get to bed by 10/10:30 and wake up at 6AM. My body has gotten used to it so hopefully it helps that your body does adjust. My dog, Milo teaches me things all the time! He’s so loyal and loving and I just love that about him.
    Have a great weekend!!

23. Great job on becoming a morning runner.!! Honestly, I don’t know how afternoon runner’s do it..I’ll make up a million excuses by the time it’s the afternoon and I’ll never go on a run.
    I usually wake up at 5. On Saturdays when I start work a little later I get to sleep in till 6.! and than if I want to do a longer run on the week days than I have to wake up at 4:30, that’s the worst because it’s still super dark out.

that fried zucchini. yummm