Injury Update and 26 DAYS!!

Thank you SOOOOOO much for all of your comments on my last post. Hearing about your experiences with this injury and all of your advice has been so incredibly helpful.

Luckily one of my good friends in a physical therapist, and her first word of advice was absolutely no running for 7 days. She said I could do the bike or elliptical as long as it didn’t hurt, but that I had to take a break from running. Today is day 6, and I miss it so much. I can’t wait to try tomorrow with *hopefully* no pain.

I do research for a living, so there is no surprise that I have been researching everything and anything I can find on this injury. With all of that research and all of your stories that you left on my last post, I think I finally have my head wrapped around this injury.

At first I was treating it like any other injury – ice and ibuprofen, stretch and roll. Well, I’ve learned that may treat your pain symptoms, but does almost nothing for the actual injury itself. Apparently the best way to treat and prevent IT band injuries is to strengthen and stretch your glutes – particularly your gluteus medius. This is where the IT band originates and stabilizes, so it makes sense that this is where you need to focus your exercises.

I’ll be doing a lot of clam shells, bridges, side kicks and lunges. The most helpful article I found was actually on Pinterest, and it is long but so worth the read if you have ever had this injury —–> article here.

Since I have no running related news to report over here, I guess I’ll fill you in on everything else that has been going on in my life.

I’m getting married in 26 DAYS!!!! We went and picked up this bad boy on Friday after taking an oath that we were not first cousins…

We had one of our last pre-wedding events this past weekend. My bridesmaid Stephanie hosted a Stock the Bar party for us at her house. Everyone brought us an alcohol gift and we may or may not have drank 50% of our gifts at the party, but we had a blast.

Something else I learned during my research – IT band injuries are usually a sign that it’s time for new shoes. I’ve been in need of new shoes for a while now, but was trying to decide if I wanted  to stick with my Glycerins or go back to my favorite Brooks shoe – the Ghost. Well, the Ghost won and I got them in the mail yesterday. It’s very hard to get new running shoes and not be able to use them, but hopefully they will only have to wait another day or two!

Do you obsessively research injuries? Or do you just go to a doctor like a normal person?

Married friends – what is your wedding date? How long have you been married?

20 Responses to Injury Update and 26 DAYS!!

1. Melanie says:

So glad you got some answers and have a plan for recovery!! Thanks for passing on the info too. I’m going to share it with my friend who keeps having IT Band issues. It’s funny you mention the gluteus medius becasue that is exactly where she has tightness from.

Don’t forget to strengthen your outer hips which helps to keep your leg aligned! Steamboats are a great exercise to do to strengthen your core muscles around your hips. You also may want to slow down your easy run paces to be in the 9’s, especially on your weekend long runs, so you’re not overworking everything all the time. Your party looks super pretty, glad you had a nice time!

3. Oh wow, obviously I’ve been out of the loop but I’m so sorry to come back and hear that you’re injured! What a bummer!

I agree with Ariana above, make sure you are strengthening your hips as well. Most of the things I’ve heard about ITBS say that it’s usually the result of weak hips/hip flexors. But like you said…it could also be the shoes…it could be a lot of things. It’s so hard to know for sure, but keep trying. I’m sure not running for a long time is driving you nuts but taking time off usually seems to do the trick for developing injuries. I really hope you feel better soon and I’m glad you have the countdown to wedding day to keep your mind off the injury (at least a little bit!)!!

I do everything obsessively, so it’s no surprise that I do the same for injury research and treatment. I’m glad you’ve been figuring it out and that your friend is a physio and is helping you! That’s awesome. I’m crossing all my fingers and toes in the hopes that you’ll be able to run tomorrow pain free. xo I’ve never heard of a Stock the Bar party but if this is an American thing, then I really need to work on getting that tradition up north.

5. I’m always researching when I feel some kind of twinge. I hate going to the doctor, so unless I absolutely have to, I tend to avoid it. Good luck tomorrow! I’m sending happy healing thoughts your way! Injuries are the absolute worst.

6. I research everything from the smallest little ache! But my everyone’s comments, that seems like a pretty normal thing for runners/athletes to do, so I feel a little less crazy:)
    I have never heard of a Stock the Bar party but what an awesome idea!! Sounds so fun too. I also love love love all the decorations!
    Glad you’re taking some time off for the IT Bands:) fingers crossed for your run tomorrow!

7. I’m glad you’re moving in the right direction with getting over your injury! I totally forgot about strengthening the IT Band! I used the hib adduction/abduction machine at the gym a lot and it really helped!
    The wedding is soo soon! Ahh weddings are the best and I’m so excited for you! I love the idea of a stock the bar party, hopefully you save some of it for the big day 🙂

8. Amy Lauren says:

I’m glad you should be able to run again soon, and at least you can cross train. A week off running isn’t that long and you won’t lose any fitness (Especially not if you’re cross training). Yes, it stinks to take a break but better now than close to the marathon, right?

Congrats on getting your marriage certificate. Looks like you had fun with the bar party too! I’ve never heard of one of those, but it’s neat.

9. I remember doing a lot of strengthening exercises when I was dealing with my IT Band issues. Changing shoes also helped, as I was a pronator at the time. I hope that the rest, strength training, and Ghosts help resolve the problem.

And yes, whenever something is unusual or goes wrong with my body, I turn to the Internet and friends, researching and learning all that I can.

My husband and I will be married for 3 years on August 18! Time goes by WAY to fast, so enjoy every moment. ☺

10. Congrats on getting your marriage license! 26 days is so soon – you’ll be married before you know it!
    I’m glad rest has been making you feel better! Hopefully lots of strengthening and new shoes will help your IT band feel better!
    Ryan and I will have been married for one year on September 20. That first year of marriage flies by!

I researched like an obsessive person when I had a stress fracture lol
    The stretching/ strengthening regimen is what I try to maintain now, I don’t treat any run as “just” 3 miles, I try to warm up and do what I need to after to stay healthy! I wear the same shoes you do, I have 275 miles on my Ghost and my Glycerin’s are new. I didn’t use to track my exact mileage on my shoes but I do now. I am very careful, so when I hit 400 miles I can decide if it’s time to switch them. That seems to be when I start to notice the aches.
    Best wishes for that run! I hope you get to enjoy your new shoes 🙂

12. I obsessively research everything, I swear. I’m sorry to read about your injury (I’ve been out of the blogging loop lately)!! I hope you heal fast so you can get back to running. But either way, you will still look amazing on wedding day!!! 26 days will fly by! So excited for you!!!

13. Since strengthening my glutes and hips, my IT band has never hurt again…and it used to be a constant pain for me. I hope you feel better soon and can get back into running without pain!

14. Twenty six days!!!! So exciting! That should be a good distraction from the annoying IT band stuff! It sounds like you are taking the right steps to keep thing this from escalating into anything worse. A few days off here will be nothing in the grand scheme of things!

I missed your injury post – oh NO!!!! I’m so bummed to hear this!!! But I have to say – the PT you are doing WILL help. I got physical therapy exercises when my Achilles flared up in December and I still do them now. DO NOT quit – be relentless and diligent with your strengthening and you will get better and stay better! Good luck, I will be thinking of you. AHHHH wedding time is creeping up! Yay!

16. Yay for your wedding coming up!! That’s so exciting and definitely something to look forward to while you’re injured (boo!). I finally set a date for my wedding and it’s in May! I can’t really call it a wedding though since it’s a “just the two of us” ceremony in Belize..but I’m so excited to set the date and I found a gorgeous dress for $16. Easiest wedding planning ever! Your stock the bar party looks so much fun..what a great idea!

17. Good luck with your run tomorrow!

I research a lot, but I tend to get overwhelmed by the amount of results I find.

18. I am a researcher too! I like to read about others experiences but it can drive you crazy sometimes! Glad to hear you’re getting a handle on your injury and doing what you need to heal!
    My wedding date was October 1, 2011 so we are coming up on 4 years! Love fall weddings! Yours is coming fast! So exciting 🙂

19. I definitely do way too much online research when I’m injured!
    I’ve been married for 7 years and my anniversary is May 20th. 🙂

20. Jason says:

I’m catching up with you – I’m sorry about your injury :/ I never go to doctors so I’m left with the internet and advice from others… ugh, so frustrating!!

OMG, your wedding is right around the corner – how exciting?! Weird, my invitation hasn’t come in the mail yet…