A Weekend in Nashville and Taylor Swift Things

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement last week. Dealing with an injury is never fun, but you all have helped me realize that it’s not the end of the world if I can’t run Richmond in November. Still TBD.

This past weekend I was in Nashville for a wedding, so my dad and I did a little exploring on our Saturday run. We ran through downtown, around the Titans stadium, across some bridges, and down a greenway along the river. The view was great and we got in about 7 slow miles (9:30 pace). My leg felt pretty good. There was some tightness towards the end, but no real pain.

At one point during our run we were on a greenway and a couple was running about the same pace as us, so we started talking with them. I asked the woman if she was training for anything or if she had ever run a marathon. She said she’s run 36 marathons and “a few” ultras, but that she was just running to explore the city that day, just like us. My jaw just about dropped. I proceeded to ask her a million questions and told her all about my leg. She had experience with IT band injuries and told me not to do Richmond unless I felt 100% healed and confident in my training. She said she will never forget her first marathon and that you want it to be enjoyable. That really stuck with me, probably because it’s something a lot of you said in the comments on my last post.

This woman has done 36 marathons and she said her best memories were from her very first one. I don’t want my memories to include hobbling across the finish line. Lots to think about in the next few weeks!

We had a really fun weekend hanging out in one my favorite cities. Nashville is just the best. Taylor Swift was in town all weekend so I was taking pictures with her face every chance I got. I’m going to see her in a few weeks when she comes to Greensboro and I can barely contain my excitement!!

The wedding was Saturday evening so we had some time to explore the Country Music Hall of Fame and the streets of downtown Nashville during the day. I continued to take pictures of all things Taylor.

IMG_2139 IMG_2146 IMG_2140

After spending some time at the Country Music Hall of Fame, we went and got some lunch and drinks downtown since we still had some time to kill before the wedding.

It was such a beautiful wedding on a farm just outside of downtown.

The two who got married are family friends so I was happy to have my parents and my brother there with us!

My mom drew the artwork for these super cute cocktail napkins (this is their dog, Larry). He was also the ring bearer.

On Sunday we had a very long, rainy drive back to North Carolina and I was also hit with some really bad news about Ben Roethlisberger. Hopefully my Steelers will be okay without him for the next 4-6 weeks 🙁

I haven’t done an actual running recap in so long, but I have been logging everything on my training tab. If I’m going to run Richmond, I have to be healthy. I’m really trying to show some restraint with my mileage as I ease back into training and I’m trying hard to keep my runs slow.

Monday: 5.5 miles, 9:00 pace
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 3 miles, 8:30 pace
Thursday: 3 miles, 8:45 pace
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 7 miles, 9:30 pace
Sunday: Rest
Total: 18.5 miles

In other news, I think I’m going to run the Bull City Race Fest half marathon in two weeks! This was always on my training schedule but I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to do it with my injury. A few of my friends are doing it and I think it will be a good confidence booster if it goes well. I’m not going to try to PR or set any time goals, but I think it will feel good to just race again.

Ever been to Nashville?

Anyone else obsessed with T Swift?

21 Responses to A Weekend in Nashville and Taylor Swift Things

1. A) you looked gorgeous as always
    B) I’ve been to Nashville for a race and for some horse shows
    C) I love TSwift’s music but I can’t stand her. I saw her in concert a few years ago, and while it was a great show, she was so full of herself it put a really bad taste in my mouth!

2. I haven’t been to Nashville but I’ve always wanted to go! It looks like you had fun!!

3. Good for you for fitting another half in! Confidence is king, so have fun with it.

4. That is some good advice! I know you will figure out the right thing to do. Nashville looks like a fun city!

Never been to Nashville but I will be going in the spring for a bachelorette party! You looked gorge at the wedding and I am keeping all my fingers crossed for you and a speedy recovery!

6. Awww your first wedding as a married couple!! How did it feel getting to be a GUEST at the wedding this time?? 😉 Nashville looks like it was lovely!

Good luck at your half! I’m sure you will have a great time, just take it easy! I’m glad you’re able to run so much more now! I’m healthy and I didn’t even run 18 miles last week, LOL! 🙂

YES! That half marathon is a great idea. Best. That will be a really good test to see how things are going! The advice from the lady marathoner is great, of course, but you know your body. If it’s ready to rock n roll, don’t hold it back.

8. I’ve never been to Nashville, but it is on my list of places to see. I really want to see Taylor Swift in concert. She was already in my neck of the woods, but I couldn’t make it to her concert because of my due date (wasn’t allowed to travel more than 30 miles from home). Hopefully I will get the chance to see her at some point!

I think it’s smart to run a half marathon and gauge where you are. If your injury flares up or bothers you during a 13.1-mile race, then it may be best to put off running the full marathon until you are fully recovered.

Love me some T-swift! She’s awesome 🙂 Great job with your training and honoring where your IT band is right now. Sounds like you are really in tune with your body and have a good plan in place to decide whether or not to run the race! Hang in there!!!

10. I love Taylor Swift! I can’t get enough of her music and she seems like a genuinely kind person. You’re doing so well with your training – I’m excited for you that you have a half marathon coming up. That will be really good to see where your fitness is as you decide about Richmond.

11. heather says:

Taylor Swift is a great singer and person!!! I love that dress with the boots, that is my style. You look beautiful. I like to run races in Nashville, and have a lot of running friends there. Thanks for the great photos
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

12. Shawna says:

i haven’t been to Nashville and really need to get myself down there! love the black dress & cowboy boots look. not sure i could pull that off in NYC, but it’s worth a shot maybe. 🙂 your mom is such a great artist!!

13. I’m so glad that you got a chance to enjoy my beautiful city!!!! (Not that I’m biased or anything!)

14. Loribeth says:

I live 2 hours from Nashville and my husband’s family is from Brentwood so we go there several times a year! I love it. Running in neighborhoods in Brentwood is so nice, and there are some SERIOUS hills…………short but steep………..a good workout. Plus I love the bike trails/sidewalks. I am going to attempt going from my inlaws house to my sister in laws house and back next time…………..should be around 20 miles total!! Hope your leg feels better, but yes, I am training for my second marathon, but that first one was so fun, it would have sucked if I had been hurting. I know it may be hard or may feel like you are being lazy or slacking off to not run the race, but if you run injured and get hurt even worse, you may never be able to run that distance again. Don’t risk it…………..if it hurts, transfer to the half or a 10K option……..no one will think any less of you.

15. My sister lives in Nashville so I have been there quite a bit! My first half marathon was supposed to be in Nashville back in 2010 I think. I wasn’t able to run due to IT band and knee issues at the time but I hope to knock that one out in the near future! And wow, I can’t imagine running 36 marathons. I have run one full marathon and am planning to train for my second in a few months. I definitely agree that running a full marathon with any lingering injuries would not be fun. I was worried when I started training for the full that my previous knee injuries would come up again but I hired a running coach and I think she made a big difference in my not over training for the marathon. I also doubt I would EVER do another full if that first one hadn’t gone well. Good luck in your training!

16. Music City is awesome. I’m a Tennessean so I’m partial, but it’s amazing. Take it easy on yourself. Your first marathon is incredible, don’t let anything get in the way of that experience.

17. Taylor! I love her so much. I’m listening to Speak Now as we speak 🙂 That’s so great that you’ll get to see her in a couple of weeks. I bet her concerts are a lot of fun!

That’s so great that you feel confident enough to do the half marathon in a couple of weeks. So happy that you’re feeling much better and getting back to running!

18. I LOVE Nashville. I need to go back asap! You looked gorgeous as always, seriously where do you get all of your dresses?! Good luck at your half, I can’t wait to hear how it goes!

19. Oh gosh! I love love love Taylor Swift! She’s coming to Tampa on Halloween, but I don’t think I’m going.

I’m so happy to hear you were able to do 7 miles with not too much pain. That’s great! 🙂

20. This is my first visit to your blog, but I’m from Nashville and loved reading this! I’m also a runner and a T Swift fan. I’m glad you had a good trip!