Cautious Optimism and Dixie Loves me Again

Happy Monday friends! I’m usually not too happy on Mondays, but I am happy about my running last week and I feel like I’m almost out of the woods with this IT Band injury. I’ve been very cautiously building my mileage back up over the past 2-3 weeks, and I think I’m finally getting back to normal. I haven’t had any painful running, just a little bit of tightness that can easily be stretched out. I still haven’t decided if I am going to run Richmond or defer my entry, but I’m being optimistic at the moment.

So, here’s how things went last week:

Monday: 5 miles, 9:00 pace
Tuesday: 3 miles, 8:50 pace
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 5 miles, 9:20 pace
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 10 miles, 9:20 pace
Sunday: Rest
Total: 23 miles

I don’t see the point in trying to run any faster than 9:00 pace. A lot of the time I realize I’m running too fast and I have to make myself slow down. My goal here is to run Richmond and finish it, so I’m focusing 100% of my energy on building miles, not running fast.

Someone else is very excited that her mom is running again… She did my three shorter runs with me last week and is loving the cooler fall weather. I think she was kind of mad at me while I was injured, but she’s back to loving me again. Every time I put my shoes on she goes absolutely nuts. It’s hard to say no to her sweet face…

She also loves post run recovery snacks:

A lot of you have probably heard about the storms we had over the weekend in the Carolinas. We didn’t have anything too severe, but it was raining all weekend, so my 10 miler was done on the treadmill on Saturday. Sometimes I love the treadmill because I can run a steady pace and keep my run totally flat, but I would almost always rather run outside. Luckily I had a few episodes of Pretty Little Liars to keep me distracted.

Saturday night I was reunited with my girlfriends who I haven’t seen since my wedding

Speaking of my wedding, I’m going to do a full recap sometime next week. I can’t wait to share this day with you guys. I’m just waiting on all of our pictures from our photographer!

Do you love or hate the treadmill? What’s your longest treadmill run?

31 Responses to Cautious Optimism and Dixie Loves me Again

1. I HATE the treadmill! I think the farthest I have ever run is 3 miles and I hated every second of it. I can’t believe you did 10 miles, that’s impressive!

I hate the treadmill too, but watching shows help pass the time by for sure. Another thing that helps me get through them is doing some sort of interval work, just so things are changing up every few minutes. And if all else fails, I chalk it up as mental strengthening!

3. Michelle says:

I loath the mill. I think 6 miles was the longest run I’ve done on it…lol!!

4. I’m glad to hear that you are ok–both with your leg and with the rain. I don’t mind the treader, but only up to a point. 8 miles is my sweet spot. I think you are smart to focus on the miles and not the time–you know how I feel about that! And email me with questions!

Yeah, after about 8 miles my sweat gets out of control and my headphones start slipping all over the place. Thanks for all of your help/advice with this stupid injury!!!

5. Amy Lauren says:

My longest treadmill run was 11 miles. I prefer not to run on the treadmill because it doesn’t really simulate running outside, but at that time, I really didn’t have many safe places to run 11 miles. My husband (and I) felt more comfortable with me doing the longer runs on the treadmill because of where we lived. Rural areas without a lot of runners make training tough like that. I planned to do a long run on the treadmill yesterday but couldn’t because the roads to the gym were closed so I ran 6 outside.

Glad you were able to log some miles- that’s really impressive. Good luck making a decision on Richmond.

That’s a problem I have too. There is a lake where I love to run but it’s about 30 minutes from my house I’m afraid to go by myself because there have been incidents there in the past with female runners. Unfortunately I live out in the country and the roads don’t even have a shoulder so I have to drive to a greenway/trail to run or go to the gym.

So glad to see you are feeling a bit better! Something you said in your post – about running too fast – you nailed it. I think a lot of people think they have to push the pace on every single run, and that isn’t always good for you! Keep doing what you are doing and definitely keep that positive attitude!!!

Thanks Allison! It’s hard to force yourself to run slower when you are trying to get better, but I’m learning that slowing down and adding more mileage is the best way to get ready for this marathon.

While I would much much much rather run outside and enjoy the fresh air… sometimes I just want to binge watch TV and not feel bad about it. So on the treadmill I go haha. Also – I’m a huge wuss with the wind, so the gyms been my best friend for getting my runs in this past weekend 🙂 So glad to hear you’re feeling better!!

YES. If I’m going to spend 2 hours rotting my brain with Netflix and reality TV on Hulu, then I might as well be running while I do it…

8. way to get going again! Im glad your injury is getting better. I know my puppies always get upset when I dont get to go on a run with them. I like running on a treadmill for shorter runs when im traveling for work for the exact reasons you said, its flat and you can make yourself run at a consistent pace. it does get boring though

9. Ugh I loooooooathe the treadmill for any run over 5 miles. The longest I’ve done on it was 12 and I wanted to gouge my eyes out (slightly dramatic).

10. Hey there! I’m also signed up to run the Richmond Marathon, it will be my second! I have had a lot of issues with my IT band as well, so I unfortunately literally feel your pain. I hope that you continue to see recovery. If you’re just running the marathon to finish, I encourage you to keep training and make the decision as it gets closer. You can always drop down to the half if you decide. I ended up with severe issues during my first marathon (after being clear of them the entire training cycle…UGH) and ended up gutting it out and finishing the marathon on a very swollen IT band. I don’t regret a thing…even though I could barely walk the next week 🙂

You can see the recap of my marathon on these two posts if you’re interested:

Hope to see you at Richmond!

BTW, I did a 10 mile run on the treadmill during my first training cycle. It was awful!

I’m so glad things are looking a little up for you!!
    I’m also glad you haven’t decided to drop out of the marathon just yet because you do still have some time to train. For some perspective, for my first marathon, I only made it through 3 runs longer than 10 miles: a 12 miler, 15 miler, and 18 miler. Though it wasn’t from injury (stupid stomach!), I always struggled to do them. I ended up having to run/walk after mile 20 because my legs were not used to the mileage by that point, but it was a great experience nonetheless. And I rested ALOT after the marathon. My point is if your leg is feeling better and you can make it through a few long runs coming up, I believe you can still have an amazing first marathon experience!! But please be careful 🙂 I’m rooting for you!!

Thanks Charissa!! I’m really hoping that’s the case. I think as long as I can get in an 18-20 miler for confidence, then I might be able to do it. I’m going to give myself a few more weeks before I make a decision.

12. When I first started running I preferred to run on the treadmill. But now I can’t run more than 5 miles on the treadmill. If I can really get absorbed in TV show, that helps but if not, I start to run all crazy because I can’t stop thinking about what my legs and feet are doing. LOL. It’s so ridiculous!

I totally know what you mean… I have to focus on my TV show of course, but I also need to make sure I don’t fall off haha

13. heather says:

I don’t hate the treadmill but I don’t love it. I am sorry but when I get done running I could totally like a peanut butter jar. How cute is your puppy!!!!
    Have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

14. Congrats on building up your mileage again! That’s so exciting:) I hate the treadmill..I would rather run outside in almost anything than run on one.

15. I’m glad that you didn’t get hit too badly by the storm, and I’m really jealous that your weather is cooling down. Tonight when I was leaving work my co-worker commented that, “the weather is starting to change, do you feel it?” I said a resounding yes, and then when I got in my car I realized it was still 85 degrees out at 6:30pm. Brrr, so cold! haha

So glad you’re able to build mileage again! That’s such great news!

16. I used to hate the treadmill, but it’s not so bad anymore. I’d still rather run outside, though.
    Longest treadmill run: 17 miles

I’m not a fan of the treadmill but I have done a couple of 10 milers on the treadmill. I’ve never mastered watching tv or movies on my phone. The angle makes my neck hurt. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

18. So glad you’re IT band is feeling better and getting back to running! I have learned to like the treadmill because it allows me to keep running when the weather is bad and especially through the rough Wisconsin winters me have! I think the longest treadmill run I have done is 8 miles. I also like doing speed work on the treadmill!

19. Great job on getting back into running! I’m so glad to hear you’re IT band and everything is doing better, and that you’re staying safe in that storm. You’re so smart to be keeping your runs easy – that will really pay off for you! The longest treadmill run I ever did was 14 miles back when I lived in Indiana and everything was covered in ice and snow until March. I usually don’t mind the treadmill, but anything over an hour gets a bit boring and the repetitive surface begins to hurt a bit!

20. The treadmill makes me crazy and I’ve never been able to run more than 6 miles on it….which was a feat in itself. Although, I’m not running much period at this point, so I would even take the treadmill. So glad to hear that you are getting back up in your miles! Also, thanks for the email response…it was very helpful!

21. So glad to hear you are able to build your mileage. That’s awesome! You are smart to try and run longer instead of faster. Since January I have done two 18 miles on the treadmill. When the training schedule calls for a long run I want to get it over with even if that means running on the treadmill. I always feel better knowing that I did it even if the tready doesn’t simulate running on the roads.

22. I love the treadmill. I got sick a few years ago and couldn’t get far from a bathroom so it was either treadmill running or no running. After awhile, it wasn’t so bad! If I can get into a show it helps alot though! I don’t understand when people have a treadmill facing a wall and can run like that forever. I would be bored out of my mind! Glad you’re getting in regular mileage again without any pain! Have a great week! 🙂

23. I’m glad to hear the weather did not hit you guys hard. It’s sad to see what it is doing to some areas in the Carolina’s. I had to do a long training run on the treadmill a couple times… I once did 15 miles on the treadmill. It was pretty crazy when all was said and done. I still felt like I was on the treadmill the rest of the day.