Dixie’s Birthday and Why I Want to Move

I’ve been feeling very good about my IT band this week, thanks again for all of your encouragement and advice! It’s healing up quite nicely. Monday I did a 6 mile run after work (8:55 pace) and it felt great. No pain or tightness at all… I think keeping my pace slower has definitely helped me heal faster.

Tuesday was a very special day. Our baby girl turned 4 years old!!

FullSizeRender

She is the most spoiled dog on earth on all days, but her birthday gets a little out of hand.

I decided to take her for a run when I got home from work, but unfortunately we had to cut her run short. After we were about a mile into our run, a dog down the street was standing in the middle of the road growling at us with all of his hair sticking up and wouldn’t let us go by him. This is not the first time this has happened with this particular dog. One time he ran up to us and tried to attack Dixie, but luckily the owner was outside and ran over to grab him. The craziest part is they have a fenced in backyard, but decide to just let the dog roam around instead. So frustrating.

Dixie and I turned around and I had to put her back in the house and finish my run solo (3 miles, 9:00 pace). She’s had a few incidents where she’s been attacked by dogs, one of which she had to get stitches, so she’s terrified of most dogs that she doesn’t know and gets really defensive. For this reason, I hate running in my neighborhood, but there is nowhere else to run unless I want to drive somewhere or go to the treadmill. I can’t wait to move.

Which leads me to some more exciting news, which I will get to in a second. But first, more about Dixie’s birthday celebrations. Since her run was cut short we let her have some of our chicken and dumplings and gave her some bacon and peanut butter for dessert. After she was nice and full and tired we dumped warm laundry on her… it’s her favorite.

Okay, back to the moving thing. Thomas and I have been renting our current house for a while now. We moved into this house in a super small town (population of 5,000, ugh) away from both of our families so we could live together. At the time we moved in, our jobs were over an hour away from each other, and this house was right in the middle. Now Thomas has started a new job in the same city where I work, so we are finally able to start house hunting!

I hate that I don’t have a nice greenway or even a sidewalk close by where I can go run. On the weekends I drive over 30 minutes to the lake to do my long runs. On the weekdays I usually run right after work (I work near a college campus and all of the streets have sidewalks) or go to the treadmill, but neither option allows me to take Dixie with me 🙁 Good running options will be a definite factor when we are looking for a house. I’m also going to try to pick a neighborhood without crazy mean dogs running around.

Wednesday was another run after work day, and my legs were not cooperating with me. They felt so heavy and tired, but I pushed through it and got 5 miles in at my favorite pace right now…. 9:00. The whole time I just kept telling myself that this is supposed to feel hard, that I’m building up my strength and mileage right now, and it’s okay to feel uncomfortable. It’s all going to pay off when I HOPEFULLY run Richmond in a little over 5 weeks.

This pretty much sums it up… the part that wants to keep going usually wins!

Have a great Thursday!!!

When you were looking for a place to live, did you make sure there were plenty of places to run?

Ever been attacked by a dog while running??

29 Responses to Dixie’s Birthday and Why I Want to Move

So exciting about the move! I’m glad you’re getting out of that small town with the naughty dog. Yes, I’ve been nearly attacked a couple of times which triggered a full-blown dog phobia which I had to get over, which is a long story, but I finally did. I never stopped loving dogs though, ever. I love animals. Phobias are irrational. Happy Birthday Dixie! I’d love peanut butter and bacon for dessert too! Callum also loves the clean warm laundry. So cute.

It takes a lot for me to afraid of a dog, but I think Dixie has a dog phobia. She is so defensive of all stranger dogs!

SO happy you’re feeling better and happiest of birthdays to Dixie 🙂 I totally look at running routes/safety of them when I’m looking for a new place to live. I still drive home to a more rural area for my long runs, but during the week I want something quick and easy!

Yeah, I don’t mind driving once a week, but I love just being able to walk out my door and run. My neighborhood is fine, but one loop around isn’t even a full mile so it gets VERY boring!

3. Amy Lauren says:

I don’t live in the “best” part of Charleston for running, but we do have a lot of options that are close or just a short drive away (20-30 minutes). When we were scouting home options, we did make sure to find somewhere safe and kept in mind that I’d probably be doing morning runs and Clay rides his bike- so a bike path being nearby was a very big sell for us. Still, I do have to drive in order to do long runs but that’s okay because it’s just once a week and only 20-30 minutes. The thing about living in many cities is that it takes awhile to get anywhere so we’re just used to driving ;).

So glad your IT band is doing better!

I love Charleston!! I ran there once, but I was lost and ended up going in circles a bunch of time close to my hotel 🙂

4. I’ve never been attacked by a dog on a run, but I have had dogs follow me before. That’s ok when it’s just me, but if I have my dog with I get nervous what the other dog is going to do. That’s scary to have multiple encounters like that with that dog.

You just never know how they are going to react when you have a dog with you. After I put Dixie back in the house I ran past him again by myself and he ran up to me with his tail wagging wanting to play… but I was mad at him for scaring Dixie 🙂

5. poop puppy getting attacked. that is such bad dog ownership letting them run around without a leash. Im sure she is dying to go on a run with you but her safety is way more important. i hope you find a great new place that you love and can have some great runs with her. i take my two with me for shorter runs and they just love it.

6. So glad you’re feeling better! We are currently looking for our first home together after renting for the past 5 years. A backyard is on the “must have” list. We’ve already been let down by a house, so the best advice I can give is to not get too emotionally attached. Easier said than done, though…

Good luck with your search and fingers crossed for Richmond!

A yard is a must for us too!! And I’ve been renting for a little over 4 years.. I am soooo sick of it! I’ve already started browsing online and I’m trying hard not to get attached to certain houses. It’s hard though!!

7. Yes! When I was looking for an apartment here in Minneapolis I had a friend tell me about the lakes in uptown and how great they were for running so I was set on living by the lakes. I found a cute old apartment building that is about 1/2 mile from the lakes and I love it!

First of all, congrats on house hunting! That is super exciting! I used to live in an AWESOME town for running. Then I moved (only like 15 minutes away) and I love my new house so much but I have to drive to run – really not that far, but I live on a main road and don’t enjoy running on it so much. However, I’ve found so many great places to run that I didn’t know about before. Amazing rail trails, great neighborhoods, etc. I do miss some of my old regular loops, though!!! Good luck with the house hunting!

Thank you!! The city where we are living is really convenient to a lot of places I am already driving to on the weekends to run, so hopefully we will luck out.

9. No lie I got attacked by a POLICE DOG (German Shepherd, with a face cage on! It hurt terribly when he hit my hand!). Um, I am all for police and security, but corral your dog. And look both ways, and hello, maybe check in with me? WTF?
    I wouldn’t say that looking for running trails is first in my mind, but it has definitely been a plus. I’ve been pretty lucky, too! Glad to hear that your ITB is doing better–the slower running is definitely helping (it was something I had to learn the hard way, too!). Good luck house hunting and everything!

10. Congrats on Thomas’s new job and house hunting!! That’s so exciting!

Sorry about your run in with the awful dog. Ugh, that sucks. But I’m very happy to hear you are feeling better and able to run pain-free! What is your long run up to now?

I don’t think I could move somewhere that didn’t allow me to run from my house. If I had to drive somewhere to run every day I just know I wouldn’t do it. Plus, I don’t usually have access to a car so there’s that. When we look for houses, our goal is to stay in our current neighborhood. It’s relatively safe and only a mile from the lake side trails.

Thanks!! I did 10 miles last weekend and have 12-14 on the schedule for this weekend. And yes, it takes way too much motivation to drive and THEN run…. I love just stepping out the door and being ready to go!

11. Sam says:

I’ve never been attacked by a dog while running, but I occasionally run with my dog and it is so frustrating to come across an off-leash dog in the neighborhood or on the trail. You never know how they are going to react so we turn around or end up zig zagging all across the street to avoid them.
    When we were looking for our house that we’re in now, the paved path on the main street really made a difference for me. It’s great not only for my running, but because other people get out and use it too so I feel pretty safe when I’m out running solo. That picture of your dog in warm laundry is too cute, HBD Dixie!

That’s what we have to do too! I’m usually very trusting of dogs but Dixie is always skeptical so it makes me really nervous. I wish people would just keep them on a leash or in the yard!!

Happy Birthday, Dixie!! I’m sure you made her birthday extra special 🙂
    Sorry about the mean dog situation but I am glad for the fact that you will move to a better suited area for you and your fur baby. I am looking for a place to move to as well and I will definitely take the running possibilities into account!

13. Happy birthday to Dixie! She’s so adorable cozied up under all that laundry. I drive about 15-30 minutes (depending on traffic) to run or run in a nearby neighborhood that’s all hills. Our neighborhood is safe, but we’re just right by a very busy road and Seattle drivers scare me too much to run on that road. I’m really sorry to hear that you got attacked like that – that’s so scary! Good luck with house hunting!

14. I think it’s very important to find a place based on where you can run. I live in Memphis, TN so it was really important for me to find somewhere that was safe and I also wanted to be close to a greenline. I’ve never had any issues with dogs while I was running, but I’ve heard some horror stories! Good luck finding a place!

15. Awwww happy birthday Dixie!

That’s so sweet that you guys rented a house halfway between both of your work destinations so you could live together. Seriously so exciting that you can finally move closer to work and into a city that you enjoy though! I hope you find the PERFECT place quickly!

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I love dogs but unfortunately been attacked more than once. And still have the scars on my butt, 🙁 Why don’t people control their dogs! Good luck with the house hunting!

17. heather says:

Yes I get growled out ran after all the time. Dogs and I just do not mesh. When I was a kid I got bit by dogs so many times. I just try to act like I am not scared and pray to God it works. Happy birthday to your pup.
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

18. It was definitely a big factor when house hunting to have some great options for running routes! My husband laughed at me but hey, we all have our wants ;-). Good luck with house hunting, that really exciting! Sorry to hear about having to cut Dixie’s run short because of that dog. Not cool and the owner should know better. They are just asking for issues by doing that. Happy birthday to your sweet Dixie!