Hello there.

Hi guys. I’ve been a VERY bad blogger lately, I know that. I’ve been trying to keep up with reading everyday, but I’ll admit that has slipped too. We got so busy after the wedding and I was so up in the air about whether or not I was going to run my fall marathon that I just couldn’t find the time or the words to get myself organized and put something out here. Well, let me give you the run down.

I’m running the Richmond marathon on Saturday! Dixie and I finished our last real run on Sunday – 7 miles on our favorite trail. I’m looking forward to some rest this week and a few short slow runs to loosen up a few days before the race. I have no time goals because my training just didn’t go the way I wanted it to. After being out for 5 weeks with an IT band injury, I focused all of my energy on just being able to build up my mileage. I didn’t care about speed, just miles. Last weekend I did an 18 miler and I did 14 milers both weekends before that.

The weekdays were filled in with various runs of 4-8 miles and I honestly wish I would have kept up with them on here because I have no idea what my weekly mileage was. I did run a half marathon a few weeks ago, so that was fun (finished in 1:53 something)!

Anyway, I feel ready. I feel ready enough to try it, and I would hate just throw away all of my hard work and try again in the spring. I’m going to try to run it, but I don’t care how long it takes me. If it takes me 4.5 hours, I’m cool with that. If it takes me less than 4 hours I’ll literally jump for joy, but I am fine with settling anywhere in the “4 something” category. This is my first marathon and by letting go of my goals I’m totally taking the pressure off of myself so I can actually experience it and understand what I need to do differently next time to have a better training cycle and race. Thank you for all of your supportive words and for checking in on me throughout my injury and my unexpected blog hiatus. If I didn’t have this blog I know I would have completely thrown in the towel as soon as that IT band injury started. So thanks… you guys really are awesome.

Life update: I’m still married!! It’s been two whole months. I’m so lucky to have such a supportive husband. I promise I’ll do a blog post about our wedding after the marathon when I have nothing else to talk about, but for right now I’ll leave you with our wedding video. It’s my favorite thing and I watch it every day because it makes me so happy.

Anyway, enough about me. Since I have been gone for a while, please just give me a brief update on you! What are you training for, what’s going on in your personal life, anything!! Missed you guys.

52 Responses to Hello there.

1. I’ve been wondering where you went! Glad you’re back! Good luck with your race this weekend! I’ll be in Charlotte running the Thunder Road Marathon on Saturday! You definitely have the right attitude going into the race. Finishing is a pretty incredible goal in an of itself. I know you’ll do great and it will give you a good baseline for what you’re capable of. Can’t wait to hear how you do! Good luck!!! 🙂

That is so close to me!! Charlotte is about an hour from where I live. If I didn’t end up doing Richmond I was going to go do the Thunder Road half. Best of luck, can’t wait to see how you do!

Ahhhh, I love that you shared your wedding video! So fun to watch after following your blog for the past so many months. I’m excited that you are taking on Richmond this weekend, I’m sure you will have a blast! Think of me when you pass the VCU Peppa’s (VCU is my alma mater!) and be careful on that downhill finish. Can’t wait to hear about your race, good luck!

Good luck this weekend!

Oh man you’ve been kicking butt after dealing with your injury! So inspiring. I hope you have a really wonderful time this weekend – good luck!!!

5. Thank goodness you’re still married, otherwise I would totally accuse you of going all Hollywood on us 😀
    I’m really excited for you for your marathon. You rested, recovered, and you made it back! This might come across as a bit of tough love to say, but I think you will know that it is actually totally heartfelt: now you will just be able to soak up the experience of your first marathon, rather than putting so much pressure on yourself to perform. I hope that comes across as a positive statement! I truly mean for it to be! And read my “before your first marathon” letter–and remember it 😀

6. Good luck on your marathon! I am in utter awe that you ran your first ever 18-miler at a sub-9:00 pace! For someone who hasn’t been caring about speed, that’s pretty remarkable! Will your dad also be running the marathon with you?

I’m sure you’ll do great this weekend. It sounds like you really have the right attitude going in of just having fun and enjoying the experience. Just take it all in. High five the little kids on the sidelines, thank the volunteers (well, we should all do that anyway!), take selfies, make friends with the runners beside you, take walk breaks if you need to. As I’ve always told myself, we can’t control our finish times, but we can control our attitude and whether or not we make the most of the experiences we’re given. Go out there and live it up, have a great marathon in honor of the stellar year you’ve had!

I will admit we took a 2 minute stretch/water/gu break after 13 miles (and I paused my watch), then finished the last 5 at a much slower pace. When I looked at my splits I was 8:45ish for the first 13 and then slowed wayyyy down.. I think my last mile was almost 10:00. My dad is running with me at my pace, so it will be good to have that support! Thanks for the kind words as always 🙂

7. Good luck! So exciting. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

8. Can’t wait to read about your wedding! I’m getting married in June and just bought my dress this weekend.

So exciting!!! Once you get the dress all the details start to fall into place. Hopefully you are having fun planning and not letting yourself get too stressed!

9. I love your wedding video! I imagine that it’s a busy and fun time for you right now! Good luck on your race 🙂

10. Oh good luck on your race and what a cute wedding video no wonder it makes you happy!! I have a half marathon this weekend too Ill be cheering you on in my mind 🙂

11. So good to have you back blogging! I’m so excited for you for your marathon – best of luck! It sounds like you’re very well prepared for it and you have such an calm and collected approach – you’re going to do great! Most of all, just make sure you enjoy it – running is fun and the marathon is a HUGE accomplishment that you should be so proud of! And congrats on the great half marathon time!

12. Glad you are back! And good luck on the marathon and having a goal just to do it. You seem like a strong runner and will get through it and live to tell about it 🙂

13. Welcome back! So excited for you to be running the marathon this weekend! Mine is the following weekend, so Im tapering now. Cant wait to see how it goes for you! Its definitely smart to just enjoy yourself rather than focus on a time goal:)

14. You’re back!! I’ve missed you! But, I totally get that life can just sometimes get in the way.

And OMG…could your wedding video be any cuter?! 🙂

Good luck this weekend!!! Your wedding video was adorable!

16. Good luck at Richmond this weekend! Really soak in the experience and try the best to be as present as possible…especially during the last mile! Enjoy your victory lap!

17. Good luck this weekend! It is great that your dad is running with you. I really could have used some company during the final miles of my first marathon.

I’m very lucky to have him! He is way faster than me but is slowing down to run it with me, so it will be good to have someone to run with

18. Scooter says:

Wow thanks for sharing the video. Gave me goosebumps …… 🙂

And i’m glad you’re gonna run Richmond. I had an injury 2 weeks before the Chicago Marathon last month that totally derailed my time goals, but I ran it anyway and just aimed to finish in one piece. You’ll do great!

One question ….. Will Dixie be at the marathon????

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An injury two weeks out must be terrible 🙁 I’m sorry that happened, I hope you didn’t make it worse! I wish Dixie could run with me!! She will be cheering me on from home

Good luck this weekend! I’ve been a bad blogger too lately, but I’m glad to hear that you are doing well enough to run it, despite the IT band injury. Have a fun race!

20. I’m not too good in the blog scene either, I’m fairly new looking to find myself in this crazy world. I’m super psyched to be training for my first half marathon with my mother though. I’m about 10 weeks from the race and I’m a little nervous but very excited.

I need to work on my consistency.. sometimes I just don’t have much to say! I love your blog – I wish I was motivated enough to train for a half marathon during my freshman year of college. You have time on your side, you will do great!

21. Welcome back, and good luck in the marathon! That’s such a great half time and I know you’ll do great in the full. How exciting!! I actually just got done planning my wedding. We’re doing a quick ceremony in Belize surrounded by tons of fun excursions and adventures so I’m so excited! All the planes and rooms are book..6 months to go!

BELIZE!? Wow, can’t wait to see those pictures 🙂 What an exciting time for you! Let me tell you those 6 months fly by so quickly, so take it all in!!

22. Your wedding video is PRICELESS! You had me laughing and crying. I loved hearing your voice speaking your vows. And, you have several great dancers in your network of friends/family. 🙂 I was impressed!

I am so glad to hear the marathon is still on. Just enjoy it and don’t put too much pressure on yourself. It’s your first, so you have no idea what to expect. I’m sure it won’t be your last (addicting!!!).

23. Sher says:

Good luck in Richmond. It was mine and my daughter’s first marathon, just last year, and we loved every step. It is a beautiful course and I know you’ll be awesome. As someone else mentioned, be ready for the downhill finish. While better than uphill, it is steep and not so nice on the joints after 25 miles. Enjoy the run and the opportunity to share that experience with your dad. I’m certain it means more to him than you know.

24. Falling behind on blogging totally happens and it’s okay! It is great to have a life off of the internet. Congrats on running a great half, and good luck at your marathon! I think you’ll do great!

25. Such a beautiful wedding! And I’m excited for you that you’re going ahead to run your first marathon and it sounds like you have a great mindset about it. Overcoming an injury and still sticking with it so great! Wish you all the best this weekend!

26. Jenna says:

Hi!! I just wanted to stop in and say how much I enjoy your blog! I’ve been reading for a couple months or so and have been following your training. I just started a blog to track my first marathon training also so I’m excited to connect with the blogs I’ve been reading for awhile now! I’m excited to hear how your marathon goes this weekend! Good luck!!

Thanks Jenna!!! Can’t wait to follow along with your training on your blog. Do you have a goal race in mind yet!?

• Jenna says:

I’m hoping for Seattle in June. So I’ve got awhile before training needs to start. I’m from Kansas though have have always wanted to travel west, so I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone and make a vacation out of it!

27. Loribeth says:

Love the wedding video! I have been married for less than a year, and I still love so much to look at our photos. We just did another photo shoot in Nashville last month and it was beyond amazing to put the dress back on! I suggest doing a few more photo shoots in your dress in different seasons…………….fall was gorgeous to take photos, and I would love to do it in the summer too!

I am racing my 2nd ever marathon saturday, too! Good luck to you!

28. Good luck this weekend! Becoming a marathoner changes you. Sending happy vibes your way!