The Richmond Marathon is TOMORROW!

Capture

I’m running the Richmond Marathon tomorrow! This is my FIRST marathon, and I’m scared and nervous and excited and have no idea what to expect, which makes me not so excited. I like planning and being prepared and knowing how things are going to unfold and what is going to happen. When I don’t know what to expect, I freak out a little bit. I feel confident in my training but I’ve had a lot of trouble setting my goals. So I just decided to take the pressure off and run a goal-free race.

I honestly get emotional thinking about crossing the finish line. This is something I have worked SO hard for this year, and even when I thought about giving up during my injury, I pictured that moment at the finish line in my head over and over again and it kept me going. No matter what the clock reads when I cross the finish line tomorrow, I will know that I worked hard for that time and that I earned it, and I will be proud of it.

Training has not been easy and at times has been extremely frustrating for me, but it has been a learning experience and I already know a few things I will do differently if I decide to train for another marathon next year. I’ve had some really great runs and I’ve had some really bad ones, but overall I’ve become a MUCH stronger runner and have pushed myself harder in the past 9 months than I ever have before.

Thankfully I will have my dad by my side for this race to push me along, just like he has done throughout this whole training cycle (although he did tell me about a month ago there was no way I was going to be able to do this race… and of course that motivated me more than anything).

This post is all over the place, I know, but I do feel like I need to address all you wonderful people who have been reading my blog. The best decision I made this year besides deciding to do a marathon was deciding to blog about it.

Blogging is a weird thing. At first I cared way too much about everyone’s approval and making sure people wouldn’t get the wrong idea. Some might assume people blog just to get attention for your accomplishments or for self promotion, but that’s really not the reason I decided to make this blog. Before I started blogging, I read a lot of running blogs because I was interested in people’s experiences, and reading about their experiences with marathons motivated me to run one myself. I decided to write about it to hold myself accountable for that decision and I didn’t really think anyone would read it or care about it. What I ended up with was an amazing community of online friends that have helped me so much this year.

Although I haven’t met any of you in person (yet), you guys are my friends and I think about you all the time and care about you. I tell my husband all about your lives and your families and how you did in your races. I look up your results and wait patiently for your recaps and support you 100%. You’ve helped me through injuries and stressful situations and you calmed my nerves before my first half marathon. So thank you for being kind and motivating and inspirational with your own stories and for finding the time to listen to mine.

If you would like to track me during the race, my bib number is 3144. My name for the race is my maiden name, Maddie Fager. I signed up wayyyyy before I got married and forgot to use my future name 🙂

You can sign up for runner alerts here, or you can use the Richmond Marathon app to track me during the race. I will be running with my phone, so motivational tweets/messages are welcomed!!!

26 Responses to The Richmond Marathon is TOMORROW!

1. PantsuitsMom says:

Hi Maddie!!!! I’m running a half marathon tomorrow so I’ll be thinking about you! I ran my first marathon in January and like you I was so beyond excited and nervous!!! My best advice is to do exactly what you did – take the pressure off and just enjoy your first marathon! My only goal as to finish and I did that and I know you will too!! Have a fantastic race tomorrow!!

2. GOOD LUCK. Read my letter to first time marathoners. And then, just breathe and just run. And don’t go out too fast. Cheering you on from Chicago!

3. I have my marathon tomorrow too!!!! Good luck!!! You’re going to do so incredible!! I can’t wait to check back on the recap as this marathon has been on my radar!!

4. Amanda says:

Hi Maddie – I’ve been following for a while after finding your blog searching for others running Richmond! It’s been fun following you as you train for the same race. I can’t believe you pulled it off between a wedding and injury – makes my training look like a cakewalk! I’ll be there tomorrow and will look for you at the end! Good luck 🙂

5. Awww what a sweet post! It’s been really great following you and becoming friends, Maddie. You are such a sweet, giving person with a big heart. You deserve lots of success and I’m excited to see how you do tomorrow! I’m also that dork that loves to look up my blog friends’ race results, lol – I’m excited to track you tomorrow!! Best of luck to you and your dad!!

6. Caitlin says:

Good luck tomorrow Maddie! I love reading your blog and I know you will be so happy to cross the finish line, regardless of the outcome (I know it will be good)! Sending speedy thoughts to you tomorrow! <3 shoday

7. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Ohmigosh! I cannot wait to hear all about your race! You are going to do great; I can feel it! I will definitely be stalking…I mean tracking you. 😉

Just remember… you run for YOU. Go out there and just have fun!

Good luck! Even though I know you don’t need it.

8. Taylor says:

Good luck tomorrow! Can’t wait to hear about the recap. Your blog is great motivation and maybe some day I’ll get the motivation to start blogging. 🙂

So excited for you!!! Can’t wait to follow along and see how amazing you do! Best of luck girl – you are going to crush it 🙂

10. Kristina says:

I am so so so so excited for you! I know you are going to have a great day and crossing that finish line with your dad will be such an amazing experience. I’m getting a little bit teary eyed just thinking about how great it will be for you! I can’t wait to hear all about it! Enjoy it because you only get to run your first marathon one time 😉

I will be cheering you on from way up here, eh? And checking my FB and IG feeds like crazy, waiting for that announcement. I might just cry when you cross the line too. So excited for you. Mucho love from your motherly-type obnoxious marathoner friend, always. XO Go fkn GET IT. xoxo

12. Best of luck to you and your dad!! I’m so excited for you and will be tracking you. You’re going to do great and should be SO proud of yourself. So much of the accomplishment comes in the training, and the marathon is icing on the cake to that.

13. So exciting! Can’t wait to hear all about it. I wish I had started my blog a few years when I was training for my first marathon so I could look back on that now as I get ready to train for my second. Having your dad by your side will be very helpful. I was so grateful my aunt went with me to Portland for my marathon and was waiting at the finish. Good luck!!!!

14. Good luck!!! I will be cheering for you from upstate NY! You will do great!

15. You’ve had a BIG year and it’s about to get even bigger!!! You have put in the work – now just go out and enjoy your very first marathon. Crossing that finish line will be one of the best moments of your life, no matter what you have to do to get there. 🙂 When I get to mile 18 – the wall for many people – I start making up a little song in my head to go along with my footsteps. Also, smiling and making eye contact with people who have come out to cheer really helps. Mind over matter at that point. YOU GOT THIS!!! I will be following along – especially because Axel will have me up early. 😉

So exciting!! Good luck tomorrow!!

17. Yay! You’re going to rock it. Have fun!

Welcome to the sub-4 marathon club!!!! Awesome work today! Congratulations!

19. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!! Good luck and kick butt!

20. I’m so exited that you stuck to your goals and ran this race! I hope the race went well and I can’t wait to hear all about it. Also, I’m not sure if I ever thanked you. You’ve had a great year and it has helped me to read all about it. Especially since we were both running our first half around the same time. I also wanted to thank you for responding to my email and helping me with encouragement through this ITB stuff. I’m not sure I ever replied or said thanks. So here it is!!

21. I didn’t see this post in time to track you but I just looked up your results and omg! Great job!!!! You went through injuries but pressed on and did a great job! Looking forward to your recap and you refuel and rest of course!!! Yay!!

22. I know by now you have already ran the race and had a celebratory lunch/dinner but since I havent read your result post yet…GO LUCK!!!!! I really enjoying reading your blog and cant wait to hear how it went for you 🙂